hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
I fell in love with one at the pet shop, she's an adult whose previous owner passed I believe. I literally just got a green cheek and probably don't have room for a cockatoo so I just want to hear all of the reasons I shouldn't want this cute adorable friendly baby (lol).

This is just a playful post to hopefully make me feel better about not being able to bring this baby into my family, I mean no offense towards people who have goffins because frankly they're adorable and this is the SECOND goffin I've fallen in love with, it's probably just a matter of time until I happen upon one by chance during a season of my life when I have the space.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I fell in love with one at the pet shop, she's an adult whose previous owner passed I believe. I literally just got a green cheek and probably don't have room for a cockatoo so I just want to hear all of the reasons I shouldn't want this cute adorable friendly baby (lol).

This is just a playful post to hopefully make me feel better about not being able to bring this baby into my family, I mean no offense towards people who have goffins because frankly they're adorable and this is the SECOND goffin I've fallen in love with, it's probably just a matter of time until I happen upon one by chance during a season of my life when I have the space.
Hi.
Here are three cons to owning any kind of cockatoo.
1. They can be loud. Very loud
2. Their bites can draw blood
3. They can be messy

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Due to the size difference between a Goffinā€™s and your current flock, it is likely they wouldnā€™t be able to be out at the same time unless your Goffins is very, very gentle and ok with other birds - and even then never without supervision. Additionally, I believe Goffins are less loud than their larger cousins, but they can still hit some pretty respectable decibel levels! I see youā€™ve got a Jenday; Iā€™m not sure how they compare to those, as Iā€™ve only been around salmon crested/U2s and nanday conures. While the Nanday are certainly loud as hell, the larger cockatoos blow them out of the water. Something to consider if youā€™re in an apartment or a house with shared walls.

More importantly though youā€™ve got a new bird. Give the new guy at least three months to settle in, and if that Goffins is there (and you can afford the vet care for another bird) you could think about it more seriously.

Just my two cents - Iā€™m not a cockatoo owner but Iā€™ve had the pleasure of being around a few, and we have a size discrepancy at home between our two birds so I am familiar with the struggle of making sure everyone gets enough ā€œoutā€ time!

OP
hiriki

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Thank you both!

My Jenday is very loud--I haven't been able to find a decibel chart that includes Jendays but I believe they're comparable to suns (and my Jenday might be a sunday anyway--at least one person has told me she looks like a sunday) and suns are in the 120 range, as compared to ~135 for cockatoos. My daycare when I was just a tot had a U2 though... I'm quite familiar with how earsplitting and obnoxious that cockatoos can be, and yet somehow I've wanted one my entire life. I think if I weren't (reasonably) terrified of their unpredictable behaviors I'd want a U2, but my impression is that the smaller varieties of cockatoos are (still neurotic but) a bit less crazy than the big ones.

But, the fact that I have an existing flock of small guys and I just bought a juvenile gcc is not lost on me, that's why I'm not rushing to the store to get this goffin's. I think it helps to hear other people on the internet remind me to be reasonable šŸ˜‚

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Due to the size difference between a Goffinā€™s and your current flock, it is likely they wouldnā€™t be able to be out at the same time unless your Goffins is very, very gentle and ok with other birds - and even then never without supervision. Additionally, I believe Goffins are less loud than their larger cousins, but they can still hit some pretty respectable decibel levels! I see youā€™ve got a Jenday; Iā€™m not sure how they compare to those, as Iā€™ve only been around salmon crested/U2s and nanday conures. While the Nanday are certainly loud as hell, the larger cockatoos blow them out of the water. Something to consider if youā€™re in an apartment or a house with shared walls.

More importantly though youā€™ve got a new bird. Give the new guy at least three months to settle in, and if that Goffins is there (and you can afford the vet care for another bird) you could think about it more seriously.

Just my two cents - Iā€™m not a cockatoo owner but Iā€™ve had the pleasure of being around a few, and we have a size discrepancy at home between our two birds so I am familiar with the struggle of making sure everyone gets enough ā€œoutā€ time!
Goffin's can, like all cockatoos, be very needy and demanding. It's probably our fault for cuddling them too much when they were babies but it's hard not to- they're just so darn soft, fluffy and cute! But parent birds don't indulge their chicks this way. They keep them warm and fed but once the chicks have enough down and feathers to stay warm, the parents don't usually sleep in the nest with them. In the wild, parents spend all their waking hours foraging for enough food to feed their very hungry chicks and not starve.

Most Reactions

Latest posts