Not eating

Kikumpenzi

Jan 11, 2023
Parrots
I have two African greys, both adopted from troubled homes
Hi all, my AG has had a very stressful 2 weeks. We have been to the vet 4 times, it all started with a crop infection and has deteriorated into him becoming petrified of me and falling and breaking off the tip of his beak and possible concussion. It has been extremely scary. Since the meds (started 2 weeks ago) he has stopped eating normally, at first it was only egg, crackers and toast. This morning I brought him to the vet for the broken beak (it's small just the tip) and they said he has lost weight. I can't get him to start eating normally again and I really don't know what to do. Since this morning's visit he has not eaten anything except 1 cracker. I softened the pellet and soaked toast in water so he could eat with a sore beak, but it seems that he'll still eat what he wants (cracker) even if his beak is hurting so I think it is more behavioural. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get him to eat again? At the vet this morning they gave him a crop tube to feed him, and said to bring him back tomorrow if he doesn't eat tonight. I just feel like we're in a stress cycle and I don't want to keep bringing him to the vet. He has to start eating. I just don't want him to starve himself...

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry that you both are going through this.
At this point, I'd let him eat whatever he wants. Does he have a favourite fruit? A favourite treat? Birds can and will starve themselves. His beak may be tender as well, so I'd try soft foods. Fruits, baby food, baby cereal (it looks like thin oatmeal when prepared), warmed mixed veggies is a favourite of my birds. If you try that, I'd mash it up to make it easier to eat if he's interested. Basically anything he will eat. Keeping food in him is more important right now than what that food is (as long as it isn't dangerous, of course). With the fruit, you'll need to keep an eye on his droppings to make sure they don't become really watery when feeding a lot of fruit.

If you can't get him to even eat his favourite foods, going to the vet for them to feed him is the only choice. Is he so afraid of you that he wouldn't allow you to feed him?
Perhaps try a spoon to feed him and see if he will allow it.

Sending prayers that he gets better soon.

Most Reactions

Latest posts