I need help.

Rsells

Oct 5, 2023
Parrots
African Grey
My 6 year old African Grey has stopped stepping up. A week after I brought him home I took him to the vet and since then he will have nothing to do with me. However, he still whistles, talks, and is eating. Once I go near him he goes to the furthest part of his cage but he will still eat peanuts from my hand. I don’t know what to do. I have had him 6 weeks. He was so tame before I took him to the vet- which I regret doing. He is also biting the paint off his cage. Sorry if I already posted but I feel very sad. Can someone help me?😥😥

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Parrots are all about trust. When dealing with them, you need to measure actions etc by that yardstick. Think of it like a trust bank - does this or that make a deposit in the trust bank or does it make a withdrawal of trust. Keep that in mind for the future.

I would first of all find a different treat, peanuts are not good for them. You can try almond slices, pistachio nuts, walnut pieces, sunflower seeds or pine nuts (which is what I use). Once you find his very favorite, use it as a bribe to win your way back into his good graces. It may take a long time, but he will bend at some point and let you back into the circle of trust!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My 6 year old African Grey has stopped stepping up. A week after I brought him home I took him to the vet and since then he will have nothing to do with me. However, he still whistles, talks, and is eating. Once I go near him he goes to the furthest part of his cage but he will still eat peanuts from my hand. I don’t know what to do. I have had him 6 weeks. He was so tame before I took him to the vet- which I regret doing. He is also biting the paint off his cage. Sorry if I already posted but I feel very sad. Can someone help me?😥😥
You need to get him a cage that is powdercoated, not painted, or made of unpainted stainless steel. He shouldn't be able to take the paint off by chewing on the bars. If he swallow any flakes of paint he can be slowly poisoned.

Most Reactions

Latest posts