Not sure if this is good or bad news...

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
My boss brought my Christmas bonus check today..that's great, but then he delivered some news I'm not sure about.

Apparently all the property wide inspections were what I had thought they were. Everyone told me it was just the annual owners inspection, but I've never had any as extensive as the 2 we've had in the last month. We literally had all 3 owners (owned by an investment group) 2 electricians, 2 plumbers, 5 people from a company they wouldn't give me the name of, 2 roof inspectors, 2 structural inspectors checking decks/balconies, my maint. man, my boss and me going into EVERY apartment over a 2 day period, TWICE!!! about 2 weeks apart. The last one was about 2 weeks ago.

Boss just told me this morning all the people from the "no name" company were from a different investment group and they have made an offer to buy the property! Their company has an investment side and a property management side and is 4 or 5 times bigger than the company I work for now. He sees no reason the sale won't go through, so in about 60 days or so this property will have new owners and a new management company.

Boss said the new company has already said they are going to make me an offer to stay. The company I work for now doesn't have anything comparable to the property I'm on now available, the only thing they have is half the size and comes with half the salary! There is one being built about 90 minutes South of where I'm at, but it won't be ready for a manager until at least April, maybe May.

The owners selling this property will invest the money in other properties, but that could take a year or more (if they even buy anything I would want) they have said they would "hire" me again on another property if/when they do buy one I would want.

The management company I work for would like me to stay with them, and my boss feels really bad there isn't anything in their portfolio right now that would fit my needs, and he says we will stay in touch and if he does get something I could definitely come back to work for him.

This kind of leaves me a bit nervous about things. Do I start tossing my resume out there to the adds on craigslist for other companies? Do I sit tight and see if the new company does make me an offer? What if their offer is less than I'm making now? What if they are jerks to work for? I know absolutely NOTHING about them, except they are HUGE and have properties in 4 states.

The last thing I wanted to do is move! I was almost looking forward to classes starting in January, then after getting my license getting a better job, then moving. That would have put me moving end of summer beginning of fall 2015. Now class is cancelled (company not gonna pay if I don't work for them and I can't afford it) GGGGRRRRRR!!!!! This is not how I wanted to go through the holidays!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wow, nothing like throwing a big wrench into things! That's a big decision, and anyone would have the same doubts and fears about going with this new company for those reasons. That's a tough one Amanda... Maybe there's a blessing in disguise in there somehow? I'm really hoping that it all works out for the best for you. Looking forward to hearing your decision.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I would start perusing the employment columns but otherwise wait until you see what happens. The sale might not happen, and you aren't going to be out of a job altogether (even if staying with your current place isn't ideal). I doubt any job offer would be at a lower remuneration than you're on. I don't know what it's like over there, but usually, they'll match what you're on. It's a pain in the neck having it over your head though. Bad Timing (although when would be good?)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Been there, done that. I recommend getting your resume together so you'll be prepared if you are laid off. It sucks but remember there's nothing you can do about it. I truly wish you the best.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I agree with Karen and you might want to approach the buyers first, even though you've heard that they're interested in you staying on...if you want to, let them know, rather than worrying for naught. Even though the buyers will have the personnel files on the complex's staff, you taking the bull by the horns will show initiative , something most employers, especially successful ones, value.....

Good luck.....

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Deep breaths! Remember what we told Mark - everything will work out. We will be praying for you. Get your resume together - always have your resume together. (Moving isn't fun. I hate moving but I'm getting ready to do that myself.) It's a horrible time of the year to get the news. I'm sorry.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Thanks for the kind words guys!

My resume is ALWAYS up to date and ready, that's one thing I have learned being in this business. Nothing is ever set in stone and things can change any minute.

In my research yesterday afternoon I did talk to a few of my vendors and contractors I use and they also do work for the company buying my property, none of them had a bad word to say (and at least a couple of them would have if they thought it was something I needed to know) They all seemed to think the new company might be even better than the one I work for now.

One contractor in particular told me the new company has been buying several properties in the area over the last couple years and they have kept all but one of the original managers.

I'm just going to go with the flow for now and try not to worry about it until after the first of the year, then I will contact the new company and see what they say.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Enjoy the holidays. That's what I intend to do. After that - then I get to start purging in the house. (that's what I'm calling it)

Most Reactions

Latest posts