Odd behavior in parakeet over the last 2 days

Jagwar8

Jun 21, 2017
Hello,
Starting 2 days ago my bird began acting odd. It was tearing out the newspaper in its litter tray and throwing it on the ground. I thought nothing of it and thought it was just restlessness, so I replaced that with bark which my bird has used before. However, almost immediately after, my bird began throwing out the bark from the tray, kicking it out or throwing it on the ground. Oddly, it seems to be concentrated on the windowsill near it. When I put my bird back in, it jumps on the bars and bites them to escape. My bird does this CONSTANTLY so I let it out from fear of it injuring itself. When I put it back, it bit me so hard it broke the skin and caused me to bleed. I would like to know the cause of this behavior and also if there is anything I need to do for my cut hand. Any help would be great! :)

Tally

Sep 14, 2015
Is your bird a female? This is how Louise was behaving before she began on her epic egg laying. She would shred anything that could be shredded and she would actually get into her food dish and scatter the food all over. If she is a girl she could be trying to nest.

OP
J

Jagwar8

Jun 21, 2017
I don't know, I can't really tell. His/her cere was a light brownish color but in around the last week or so it has quickly changed to white. The other bird I have does have a pretty dark brown and developed cere but does not act like that. I'm not sure why this is happening, as said before.

Most Reactions