# of toys in cage

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
But, a brat - no. He can't go on fid-terror chomping and lunging. That's why the 'nicely now' command is so amazing. It sort of reminds him to play nice or walk away but give him the chance to just walk away.

I worked on that one with Bucc when he was a baby and it worked like a charm still does, but with Kito, heck he's just a brat. :D He just looks at me as if to say "Yeah right I'm really gonna play that game for ya" I just say he's a fid with um well lets just call it character. :D

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I worked on that one with Bucc when he was a baby and it worked like a charm still does, but with Kito, heck he's just a brat. :D He just looks at me as if to say "Yeah right I'm really gonna play that game for ya" I just say he's a fid with um well lets just call it character. :D

Ah, I sense high-strung and sensitive! Instead of, um, character, why not highly intelligent or gifted? Sounds like Kiko needs to be the 'smartest' in the room. Use it - give him some responsibility.

Here's a trick - keep him in while the rest of the flock and fur is out. Ask him to keep an eye on them. He can't pounce, but he can remain alert. Stay calm when he yells to you and check on things. Compliment him for his good job. Keeping him in a bit, but giving him a 'job' (I think he's smart) may help the problem. Mind you, it's like giving a three year old a whistle, but may also help things in the long run.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
i heard a lot of jingling today so i sneaked up on the cage and Sidney was on his back at the bottom of his cage tossing his ball in the air and catching it :)

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
i heard a lot of jingling today so i sneaked up on the cage and Sidney was on his back at the bottom of his cage tossing his ball in the air and catching it :)

Kelli, that is a hoot and adorable. You have to remember your camera the next time!!! Pics!! LOL (((((kelli)))))

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
i heard a lot of jingling today so i sneaked up on the cage and Sidney was on his back at the bottom of his cage tossing his ball in the air and catching it

Wooow Kelli!That's so nice! Yes please pics next time....:D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Kelli that is great, :D definately try to get some pics of that, I love to see our fids at play. :D

Here's a trick - keep him in while the rest of the flock and fur is out. Ask him to keep an eye on them. He can't pounce, but he can remain alert. Stay calm when he yells to you and check on things. Compliment him for his good job. Keeping him in a bit, but giving him a 'job' (I think he's smart) may help the problem. Mind you, it's like giving a three year old a whistle, but may also help things in the long run.

I'll give that one a try thanks, and yeah he is a clever little one it just trying to find something that keeps him occupied at the moment. Needs a lot more interaction than all the others put together. But hey I love the little vulture anyway. :D I'll let ya know how I go with that.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I'll give that one a try thanks, and yeah he is a clever little one it just trying to find something that keeps him occupied at the moment. Needs a lot more interaction than all the others put together. But hey I love the little vulture anyway. I'll let ya know how I go with that.

I think we are up to hearing some nice stories here :D....

Peta sure you love your little fid!:D We only joke here...:D

Needs a lot more interaction than all the others put together.

That's sure a sign of smartness...:45:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
We only joke here...:D

I know that mate, Its just that this little vulture has the ability, (and uses it daily) to drive me insane. :D I wouldn't have him anyother way though. :D

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
I am sorry to say that my brats have hardly any toys in their cages right now. I removed all the custom made toys that had plastic parts after I read about all the problems with china & plastic. I had a bunch of stuff in there made from human kid toys, baby keys .. etc.
I am working on making more now and I gave them some of my 'first trys' with the toys I am hoping to start making.
I think it really depends on the bird for the number of toys. Rocky doesn't play with toys often, he likes to have something to chew on every now and then though.. he is really a couch potato.. he LOVES to watch Rachael Ray's Talk show. I am thinking about taking that television out of there... The radio seemed much better, he was more active. If I do it though it will be when I'm better and have more time to spend with them. Right now doing those stairs is tough.
Tyler is very nervous and doesn't like to have many things IN his cage. He prefers to have as many cardboard boxes as he can fit on top of his cage. He just likes to chew so I'm going to make some softer wood toys for him. Something that I can secure to the sides. He has that gimp leg and falls easy.

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
How long are you admins going to leave the forums full of spam?
Is anyone watching the shop?

RedsDad

Sep 10, 2009
Springfield Ma.
Parrots
Red Lord Amazon
Miss Red has only 2 toys in her cage if I put more in she takes them out or screams her head off, all her toys are in her toy box and she will take them out to play with them, guess who has to put them back, my office floor is her play ground and at times I can't even walk around because of the toys, but she is happy this way and so am I so I think the bird will let you know if there are to many toys or not enough

Reds Dad

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
What an amazing line of questions and answers...I was told only two but now Im thinking that my poor boy has been lacking in his toy entertainment...outside cage??? wats that?? I have a cage that opens up at the side and top with a dried log with branches and a dried "tree" that he can play on that comes out of the cage..(side opening) So having 5 toys instead of 2 will not overstimulate him. I was told I was spoiling him and that I must change the toys every two days and keep them to two - you just have converted me :)

dakisgirls

Sep 10, 2009
U.S.
Parrots
I have a blue and gold macaw along with an indian ringneck parakeet.
You should have at least 15 toys total but you should switch them around once a week with different toys. My macaw has 7 too, which I think is fine. The bigger the cage, the more the toys! If you have a small cage, be sure to fit at least 5 in at a time and also make sure your parrot isn't scrambling over toys to reach his perches!

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
To calculate the proper number of toys first take the volume of the cage in cubic feet, multiple that by the birds age in months on a lunar calendar, divide by Planks constant to the power of pi, then divide this by the number of hours per day spent outside the cage. If you were born during the summer round this value up, otherwise round down.

OR... you could just use however many you want to.

WolfmoonCT

Oct 22, 2009
Brooklyn, CT
Parrots
Alex (Nanday Conure) Beausoleil or Boo for short (Sun Conure) Luigi (Congo African Grey)
My grey has 4 in his cage.. Of which he prob only plays with one. We don't think he ever played with toys with the original owners. bout the only thing he really plays with is shreddable toys. Any plastic ones or puzzle ones, he won't touch.

One that he took to very quick and LOVES is the jellyfish one from bird.com, or I take some shims you use for doors and window installs, drill a hole in them, and thread them onto a leather stip with wood pieces between.. tears them up pretty quick.

origami.bullets

Jan 1, 2010
Bristol, UK
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw (Coco)
how can i build a cage for two???

Hi Falelos, it's best to start your own thread if you want to ask a question of your own :)

Coco has 5 toys in his cage at the moment (not including some rope), with 2 another two not currently in use, 3 more currently in the post, and I am currently making a boing :)

I'm not sure I agree with the thing about not being able to see the parrot in its cage due to all the toys - Coco likes flying from perch to cage side and back again, which he wouldn't be able to do if he had *that* many toys in his cage.

:green2:

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
A friend of mine saw an article like that so he did put tons of toys in the cages, and of course 2 of the birds got their wings hooked while flapping. Luckily the birds will be okay, but most of the toys were taken out and are now rotated weekly. Hard lesson to be learned.:green1:

Most Reactions

Latest posts