Ok... Bare with me on this..!!

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Oh... And I live at home. My parent are a little house/garden proud so building an aviary AROUND the tree, although perfect, isn't possible for me. Trust me if I could I would. That would be a dream. A massive free flight aviary with trees planted in it.

I would travel cage her to said aviary if she wasn't clipped.

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Harness or a carrying cage, too! ;) (or attaching aviary to the house via a window or a door!)

Bacon, what about putting freshly cut branches into the aviary? You did say the tree will be trimmed back before summer.... so why not put some of those branches into the aviary????

This I've thought about, but the aviary really isn't that big. Plus once the branches die I'll be back to square one lol.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Oh... And I live at home. My parent are a little house/garden proud so building an aviary AROUND the tree, although perfect, isn't possible for me. Trust me if I could I would. That would be a dream. A massive free flight aviary with trees planted in it.

That's been a lottery fantasy for years... along with removing the UN from quite a number of unwanted macaws and amazons especially...

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013

That's been a lottery fantasy for years... along with removing the UN from quite a number of unwanted macaws and amazons especially...

YES. Mine too!!! In fact in the fore mentioned parrot mag I got today it has a article from Belize regarding taking in ex pets and rehabilitating them for a life in the wild again. What a brilliant dream, to be able to make that happen!!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I want to start taking Valentino outside again. I just can't bring myself to clip his wings because he is use to flying all over my home. I have one of those aluminum Kings carriers that he would be able to see everything around him (better than a plastic carrier where he can only see out the front) that I would like to put him in and bring him outside with me. I want to orientate him with the area around my home so he learns what structure home is what things look like more than just out the patio door window and to get him some fresh air.

I am way to chicken ever to free fly Valentino. I also realize I will have to begin harness training from scratch. Last year the first day of harness training I suffered a severe asthma attack and Valentino panicked so badly he got tangled in the harness and is now afraid of it. I have tried several times since to try to get him use to it again but he wants nothing to do with it. Maybe a different color would help, maybe just a real slow introduction would work.

I realize that if I take him outside in the kings carrier I HAVE To be in site of him at all times. I cannot just set the cage on a table and walk away. He would SCREAM if I was out of site and call to him every bird of prey within miles not to mention probably annoy my neighbors with his calls.

For now my plan is to use the Kings carrier to get him outside while I do the yard work. I have to clear away the dead brush from the day lilies and hastas and I think that is a good start. This will give me the opportunity to see if my asthma is going to be very bad and get Valentino learning of what the outside looks like.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
This I've thought about, but the aviary really isn't that big. Plus once the branches die I'll be back to square one lol.

Only if you can't go get more fresh branches to put into the aviary! :)

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Ok. Searched a bit but can't find what I'm looking for, either that or using wrong wording, so thought I'd pull this up again as it's related.

Before I go thro with the afore mentioned I thought I'd give blue another chance of flying. So there been a bit of time going up and down the lounge. She can fly and she can hold herself in the air, settling gently on the back of the couch.

Now..... Has anyone got tips on how to get her off her lazy butt so she'll do it her self. As in take off. She won't even do a small hop and flap and she's not motivated by treats as such, as in she won't come to me to get one. Is it a confidence thing??? Or do I need to continue building muscle up, obviously they need more power for take off then anything??!!
She wants to come, squatting and holding wings away from her body etc.... It's just going for it!!!

She can do it when startled!!!!

Ideas please!!! I'd rather her fly than clip her!!

(Mum won't tho :p) haha

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Find a reward she'll work for. Try training before meals.

Instead of asking her to fly, ask her to step up. Slowly increase the distance she must step up until she's hopping or jumping. If she hesitates at any point, go back a step.

Most Reactions