Ollie all of a sudden preening Finley (even his vent area?!) What does this mean?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Aside from Finley's biting something else weird has been going on. On Saturday Ollie started preening Finley (both DNA male) almost any chance he gets and previously used to bite Finn when he got too close. I have no idea when or how this started but he's even preening his vent area while Finley hangs upside-down on a rope swing. Finley doesn't preen Ollie at all. I'm worried that Ollie is choosing Finley as his mate or something. I'm not really sure what the heck rlrgis is about and I have no idea if this is normal. Maybe you guys could tell me about your birds and if I should let the vent preening continue or not. So weird. I'm freaked out and worried. Ollie still seems to be loyal to me at least...so far.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I really don't want to let them be together until someone with multiple parrots that a friends but not bonded can weigh in. Surely someone has seen this or knows what it means?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've had multiple birds together before, including two conures, but to my knowledge, the preening was never beyond the head area. Preening beyond the head can certainly be a mate type of behavior.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

That's troubling. I'm not really sure how this happened because Ollie didn't really like Finley untill like 3 days ago...he mostly just nipped at him. He seems to be preening any available area including wings and vent feathers. Ollie also seems to be preening the wings kind of hard. I was thinking it's displaced aggression because I read that can happen sometimes. So far neither one of them has regurgitated to each other so I'm not sure if that matters. I'm terrified. Any advice bon what I should do?

Last edited:
OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I've been advised by a site called Parrot 911 to keep them separated until mating season is over or the next couple of years...or until Ollie stops exhibiting this mating behavior. They said it's because they are both so young still they could decide to be each other's mates very easily. All it takes in one mating season at this age apparently. I can tell they want to be together but I also don't want to loose my bond with both of them and for them to bond to each instead of me. uggg wish someone else could help me figure out what to do.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've never had a bird that was bonded to me choose another bird over me, even when said bird became cage buddies with another bird.

Was going to mention though that if you don't want Ollie preening Finley, then you may want to keep them separate.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
possibly this could be a side effect of Finley's biting or vice versa? A de-stress for all may be in need (I suggest ice cream)

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I don't mean to sound like a jerk here but .....

You did such a fabulous job introducing them slowly and than quality/together time on the big tree perch that it worked. Now they have accepted one another and actually like each other. That's huge. I've read so much here about adding new flock members and they hate each other, fight or just tolerate one another.
Here it seems you did it right and they truly have embraced one another.

Sorry, I know this isn't helpful; but that's what I'm seeing. :eek:
So, yeah it seems your only option is to keep them separate for a while or at least until mating season is over .... ?

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I was thinking that LTriggs but it's hard to know for sure because vthe extreme preening just started but Fin has been nippy for a long time.I know I'm definitely Ollie's mate because he's obsessed with me and I'm the only one who can handle him freely. He does anything I ask always for me only and only cuddles with me and has only regurgitated for me though not very often. Finley it's hard to tell because he so young but I think I'm his mate too because he cuddles with me and regurgitates for me only so far...well and a toy. I'm just so scared I'll loose my bond with them both. Why would Ollie be so keen on preening Finley like that then? Finley's biting has calmed down since the weekend...maybe it has something to do with my husband. This is a tough one...

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have 2 male Cockatiels that are bonded to each other. They are inseparable. No Joke.
The only preening I have seen is ... well they clean each others nares (nose).

My opinion is that as long as the preening does not develop into plucking it's ok.
Only down side I can think of is that if they truly become bonded to each other they may be less friendly to you.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

That's exactly I'm afraid of. I do not want them to unbond from me to bonded to each other. Not on my watch! So far keeping them apart is not that hard. They are currently both bonded to me very clearly so I haven't lost anything yet.

Most Reactions