Once a Grey talks

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Once they break the seal do they just start talking all the time, speaking the words they know or repeat the words they hear from that day forward?

I've read a lot about talking Greys on this site, but it is hard to get a sense how well they go from not talking to talking regularly etc.

When the day comes that my Perjo says something I just want to be prepared and not be overly excited if it is normal for them to not say much for awhile once they get over that first hump.

The first time you hear your bird speak to you has to be really awesome.

I just taught her the pretty girl whistle, she picked it up in about a day and a half, so I'm getting anxious that she'll bust out some words here real soon.

EdwardH

Dec 23, 2012
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus
cockatiel
red rump
It really depends on the individual bird. Some never talk at all, whilst others develop a very large vocabulary most of which is often used in context and the remainder fall somewhere within the spectrum. Sorry i cannot be more precise but it really does depend on the individual bird.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Not a cag, but we got Salty to start, using a repeater box, for about a month or 2. After he got his first word, his name we stopped using it, because it wasn't needed. He hasn't stopped picking up words. May work for Perjo. Of course we talked around him a lot, too. That's important.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
They usually vocalise (be it whistles, sounds, talking, etc.) more from 6 months and on. At first they a slow about it but it doesn't take long for them to practice non stop. It varies a bit. Some are very gregarious and are talky around everyone. I had one that had a huge vocabulary but didn't like to be seen when he spoke. Crazy little bird!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Once they break the seal do they just start talking all the time, speaking the words they know or repeat the words they hear from that day forward?

I've read a lot about talking Greys on this site, but it is hard to get a sense how well they go from not talking to talking regularly etc.

When the day comes that my Perjo says something I just want to be prepared and not be overly excited if it is normal for them to not say much for awhile once they get over that first hump.

The first time you hear your bird speak to you has to be really awesome.

I just taught her the pretty girl whistle, she picked it up in about a day and a half, so I'm getting anxious that she'll bust out some words here real soon.

I had my TAG Smokey <r.i.p.> about 6 months..she was about 6 months old when I got her. At the time,I was an over-the-road trucker and gone a few days at a time. My mom took care of Smokes. Every evening she would bring Smokes house into the spare room,cover her,and tell her nite-nite,see you in the morning..In the morning,mom would uncover her,ask her "how are you?' and bring her out to the living room.
One morning,mom went to uncover her,and as plain as day..Smokey yells out to her ' "HOW ARE YOU??" mom almost hit the floor lol.

Smokey turned out to have a rather large vocabulary,and definitely used it in context.

Amy,my 'zon,is 26 y.o. and I had her since she was 14 weeks. Her vocabulary is amazing to say the least! And she also speaks in context.

Mom has been gone for 10 yrs now,and still,on occasion,Amy will call out "ELLEN!?...ELLEN???" looking for mom. :eek:

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts