One more thread whining about winter weather

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
First of all, we Texans are pretty wimpy when it comes to cold weather. There's a joke that the state shuts down if we get enough snow to make a foot print...much less a snowman. We're in day 3 of the 2nd major snow/cold snap in a month!

The Dallas airport (a MAJOR hub for American Airlines) canceled all flights for 2 days!

The schools in our town have been closed for 3 days...my son is so bored!

My driveway is iced over and I haven't ventured farther than the curb since Monday.

They scheduled rolling 15-min blackouts in north Texas yesterday to take some of the pressure off the power grid...scared us a bit since we didn't know they were going to do that. Even though our furnace is natural gas, the thermostat is electric so it could have gotten cold!

It hasn't been above freezing since Monday - average temp for this time of year is in the 50's F. I think the warmest it got today was 25F.

I'm hoping my street is cleared up a bit tomorrow because I need to get some groceries - present street condition is skating rink! It's Super Bowl weekend and the game is in Dallas for the first time ever. We have a dear friend coming in to watch the game (not at the stadium, just with us) and spend the weekend and I want to feed him something besides macaroni and cheese.

My little nose is cold and my feet are cold and I hope my birdies aren't cold! They aren't acting any differently and the thermostat in the house has been consistent. I guess they don't have the psycological issues that we do when we see snow.

And my ribs still hurt from my motorcycle wreck last Friday.

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I saw that cold nasty stuff in your area on the map. Nothing worse than a cold Texas Cowboy!!

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I just got a phone call from the school district...school is closed AGAIN tomorrow! They're going to have to cancel Spring Break to make it up!

Chris Winkler

Oct 8, 2010
Media
NW Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo TAG,
Kodak Wt Face Tiel &
Tobi Male Ekkie
ROTFL I only wish that an inch of snow would be hard to deal with. I have at least a foot of snow in my yard and with the coating of ice on top it is very hard to walk without blowing out a knee.. And the schools here just go on as normal.. Don't think there has been a snow day here in several years.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
I know what you mean, Chris. It's completely what you're used to. I grew up in Montana, 50 miles from the Canadia border. We measured snow in feet, not inches and -20F w/ a wind chill of -40F was pretty common. In my 12 years of public education, there was 1 snow day...because the temp without wind chill was -40F.

I've been in Texas for almost 25 years and now if I have to deal with 3 days of below freezing temps, I'm whining like a spoiled baby. But those weeks and weeks of 100F+ in Super Summer doesn't phase me too much.

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
No snow now in Louisville...But on the bright side you were riding a motorcycle last week! It has been COLD here!

G

Birdzhaven

Oct 30, 2010
Media
Dallas, TX
Parrots
B&G Macaw, African Grey Congos, Timnehs, Brown-necks, Meyers, DYH Amazon... :-)
Hey, I have to weigh in on this one! My wife and I grew up where -40 degrees was not uncommon in the winter and we consider ourselves weather refugees. We have lived in the Dallas area for 8 years and this is the coldest weather we have experienced to date! It was in shorts and sandals last Saturday and the weather dropped almost 70 degrees in a matter of days!

We have a backyard aviary and it is amazing how well the parrots cope with the cold weather! They tougher than I am that's for sure! I posted an article about them last evening: Life at Birdzhaven | Anecdotes of living with birds

Leroy_Paige

Nov 23, 2010
Media
Albums
Colorado
Parrots
Tuco the Nanday Conure, Satchel and Gibby DSH
My turn I guess. HRH I'm shocked the school closed at only -40...lol. I live in Grand County Colorado, where the town of Fraser averages 16 frost free days a year! We went to court with the town of International Falls, MN for the rights to the name "Ice Box of the Nation". We won that battle in court some 20 years ago when I first moved here but just recently gave the title back as a nicety and because we are a freaking SKI Area! How's that for marketing. Ski here and lose your extremities. So anyway, our low from this last front everyone is whining about was -49 in the town of Tabernash, -42 Fraser, and -40 Winter Park Ski Area. Those towns are in a str8 line with each other seperated by only 10 miles. And school went on like normal. We have had one school closing in almost 90 years and it was in March of 2002 when we received 7 feet of the heaviest snow in 60 hours. By that 3rd day there was no where to put any more snow. We had 114" of snow that month! almost 10 ft., and a seasonal total of 410"!!!! 34 feet 34 feet 34 feet. Funny thing is we avg. 30 ft. every year so big whoop. lol

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
My father is from International Falls! Honestly, weather like that is just a reason to move!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Good thing the super bowl is under roof. We have been lucky in Md. this winter so far. Missed all the mess everyone else got including Texas. You do not even have snow plows I bet.

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
We've been luck in VA for the most part. I think our lows have been in the 30's here... And that is still enough for me to move. Some of you guys talking about -40's. Ehhe!!! Not happening. Phoenix is looking better and better every day. :D

Bongo

Dec 27, 2010
We up north in Winnipeg, Canada. I think we have the most extreme weather (summer to winter temperatures) of any city in the world. In July it is pretty normal to have days around 100F. In the winter, -50F is not uncommon at night. In fact Tuesday it was about -30 during the day here, and is now about 35 and raining... The roads are a disaster!

We have about 3 feet of snow in most places right now, which is a little over average. I don't remember ever having a snow day as a kid...

I think this is the reason why a lot of Canadians head to the Caribbean every chance we get!

-------------------------------------------

"According to Environment Canada, Winnipeg is the coldest city in the world with a population of over 600,000 based on the average night-time temperature during December, January and February, inclusive."

Last edited:

Birdzhaven

Oct 30, 2010
Media
Dallas, TX
Parrots
B&G Macaw, African Grey Congos, Timnehs, Brown-necks, Meyers, DYH Amazon... :-)
My turn I guess. HRH I'm shocked the school closed at only -40...lol. I live in Grand County Colorado, where the town of Fraser averages 16 frost free days a year! We went to court with the town of International Falls, MN for the rights to the name "Ice Box of the Nation". We won that battle in court some 20 years ago when I first moved here but just recently gave the title back as a nicety and because we are a freaking SKI Area! How's that for marketing. Ski here and lose your extremities. So anyway, our low from this last front everyone is whining about was -49 in the town of Tabernash, -42 Fraser, and -40 Winter Park Ski Area. Those towns are in a str8 line with each other seperated by only 10 miles. And school went on like normal. We have had one school closing in almost 90 years and it was in March of 2002 when we received 7 feet of the heaviest snow in 60 hours. By that 3rd day there was no where to put any more snow. We had 114" of snow that month! almost 10 ft., and a seasonal total of 410"!!!! 34 feet 34 feet 34 feet. Funny thing is we avg. 30 ft. every year so big whoop. lol
Wow! That's some serious weather! I guess I will have to revoke my "man-card" after reading about your weather!

We did get more snow than was expected for the area today and I took a couple of pictures before it melts. :)

Attachments

• Aviary winter - 2.jpg
    Aviary winter - 2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Aviary - winter- Sydney & Esperanza.jpg
    Aviary - winter- Sydney & Esperanza.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

freundhund2

Jan 14, 2011
Hey Razzie

I am jealous of how cold it is in Victoria at the moment. I am in Sydney and as you know we are in our 3rd week of over 40+ Celcius or 105+ Fahrenheit. And it got to a chilly 24+ degrees Celcius last night.

Oh, for the snow!!!!!!!! Yes, I love skiing.

I don't know how safe it is for little Atticus to be outside, I am keeping him in with the air conditioner.

Cheers

FH

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Good thing the super bowl is under roof. We have been lucky in Md. this winter so far. Missed all the mess everyone else got including Texas. You do not even have snow plows I bet.

We don't - that's why it's so incapacitating. I think the city of Dallas has 10 sanding trucks...for a city of over 1 million. Add Fort Worth and the suburbs and there are probably less than 50 total. All for a metropolitan area of about 5 million.

It snowed Thursday night and most of the day yesterday. We got at least 2-3 more inches. But yesterday at about 3:30 pm, I think the front moved out. The snow stopped and the sun came out. We're supposed to get to almost 50F today, so the snow will be gone in about 24 hrs.

OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Ratzy & Freund, that's what we get during the summer here. We call July and August Super Summer. It's common for the daytime temps to be 100F+ (38C) and nighttime lows don't dip below 80F (27C). That I can deal with...I'm not a good cold weather person, regardless of where I grew up.

Most Reactions

Latest posts