One person parrot.

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Congo African Grey (Lulu)
Hey all. :) I think it is important that I deal with this issue now and try to do something about it. My CAG have bonded with me alot. I can really feel that she trust me and I trust her as well, so that is just great. The problem is that she won't accept other people than me and my dad. She's only 5 months old so it is important that I deal with it now. My mom spends a whole lot of time with my parrot and gives her alot of attention, but she just won't step up on to her hand. She don't even wan't to take a treat from her hand, and I think it is sad, because my mom loves her as much as I do. When my mom comes to close, she might even bite her.
What can I/my mom do about this problem? How should I take this problem step-by-step?

LoveMauiGus

Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Maui - Sun Conure,
Gus - Yellow Collared Macaw
I don't have a CAG, but my YC macaw was the same way when I first got him. Do you have the closest bond with her? Has your mom tried approaching her with you gone or at least out of the room? When I got married, my YC hated my husband with a passion. But he started talking to him when I would go to work and eventually they became close. If I was in the room, or even just home, that was another story

Last edited:
OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Yes I have the closest bond with her. She talks to her when I'm out, but she have never tried to get her to step up. My mom will try that tomorrow. There is one time that she will step up on my mom's arm 100% of the time, and that is when she's going out of the cage. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

More suggestions/advice are welcome. :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
hummm i know what its like not to be the fav person, as i am not nuts fav person, i'd say your mum should not push her attentions onto lulu, i found best way to get nut to come to me, even for a little bit was to do/eat something that interested her, when i am alone with her through day etc, she will follow me about house, but not on me

but in time lulu will accept your mum, just as nuts accepted me, but the main thing is i never ask anything of nut, she does ask me for a head scratch etc lol and i mostly let her come to me, even though at times i am sneaky an use a plate of food :)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
The key to Lulu's heart is going to be time and treats.

Mom will just have to spend more time with her, and reward her for good behavior, just like you would.

By the way, praise can be a good "treat" as well. It doesn't always have to be food. Bitty seems to love it when I hold her close and say "Good Girl!" (She repeats it enough LOL).

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You have been given very good suggestions. Nothing comes fast to an grey. I know that socialization is very important. I live in an apt community and I began taking Rosie for walks in the hallway and social rooms. She was nervous at first but will now step up on a few people. As a true young beautiful girl she loves the young lads that come her way and will step up on thier hand right away - the little flirt. Here is a good article for you to read:

Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Socializing The African Grey - The Early Days

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
Thank you all for your good suggestions! I appreciate it. So the key is patience, treats, praise and not to force Lulu to do anything that she is not comfortable about. :)

@Spiritbird: Thank you so much for the article. It sure helped a lot. :)

leomacaw

Jul 13, 2010
Hong Kong
Parrots
2 Greys, 2 Yellow Sided Conures, 1 Jardine's & 1 Lovebird.
It takes time. You let her stand on ur arm and you introduce other people to her bit by bit... and let them feed her some seeds or good snacks. :)

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
@leomacaw: I'll definetly do that. I'll start to introduce her to new people slowly, so she doesn't get overwhelmed. :)

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
I agree that the key to a Grey's heart is through the stomach. My husband is trying to win my Ruby over with little treats. In fact, he gives her more treats that I do, but she still loves me best, however, she's warming up to him and sitting with him without nipping.

Maybe let your mom take over LuLu's feeding for awhile. When LuLu sees her as the caretaker the trust maybe easier to build.

But go slowly and remember that results will take time. Good luck!

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
@HRH Di: I've told my mom that if she wan't Lulu's trust, she must take care of her. Giv her food, clean the cage, give her fresh water, take her out of the cage, give her treats etc. I've even told her that she should clean up her poops because they like seeing other people clean up after their mess LOL. ;) The last one was actually just something I came up with by my self, so I don't have to clean up after her poopies LOL. :p

Last edited:

wibitywab

Jun 4, 2011
Southern California
Parrots
"Kiwi" My Hahn's Macaw and R.I.P. Buddy the GCC-2009 - 2011
This is a problem with most AGs. You can have your mom maybe talk to her for a while, and take it slow. After that, have her slowly try to give your bird his/her favorite treat, and if she doesn't want to, try later. I'm not to sure if this wil work, but it cant hurt to give it a try! Good luck!

OP
CAGLulu

CAGLulu

Jun 8, 2011
Parrots
@wibitywab: She will take treats from her, but not all the times. Sometimes she takes treats from her in a way that just shows that Lulu hates my mom. She will take them kinda like she's biting and then throw them away LOL. :p It looks very funny, I must record that some day. :D

Most Reactions