One Treat at a Time Foraging Toy

Tsali

Jul 22, 2016
Parrots
Tsali - African Grey- I am a one parrot parent. It's a full time job keeping Tsali healthy and happy.
Tsali has a wide range of foraging toys, both store bought and homemade.

He has several Caitec:
4 Big Drawers,
Space Circles (his current favorite feeding station)
Foraging Spheres (several)
Gen II Foraging Wheel
Windmill

I have issues on all of the above. Tsali loves them all and they provide a varied and interesting way for him to get the majority of the dry portion of his diet. MY complaint is that there is a lot of waste and they are all way too easy. I want to keep him busy, his mind engaged and prevent as much waste as possible. I am not cheap, but the foods/treats I buy are expensive and it grates on my nerves to throw out more than he eats.

What I am really looking for is a treat dispenser that has multiple steps to dispense one treat at a time while the remaining treats are safely waiting their turn instead of winding up in a pile at the bottom of the cage. My idea is very similar to Caitec's "Push and Pull" which is on my next toy buying list. The one thing I don't like about the Push and Pull is that you can drop a bunch of the treats at one time and the majority will be wasted.

The image I see in my head is a small clear heavy duty acrylic holding container for loading favorite treats.

The acrylic container have a bottom with a small hole for dropping one treat into the next chamber - also made of acrylic by means of a slide lever.

Slide the the lever one way to "load" a treat then pull the lever from the opposite side to drop the treat into the next chamber.

The final step would be a small handle that has to be turned to drop the treat into a retrieval chamber -- one treat at a time more or less.

I am going to draw up some plans and start working on a prototype -- but if anyone would like to give it a go, PLEASE jump right in and let me buy the first one off the production line. :D

Most Reactions