One VERY itchy dog (no more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
You've done such a great job with him! So glad your Oscar is continuing to do well!!

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
For those who are going to try this, I suggest doing some comparison shopping. We have been using Swanson health products for years. I found prices for the same products cost less.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
JerseyWendy, I just placed my order with Swansons and I hope this stuff works for my girl. Living with a conehead is not fun. lol.

Did you continue giving the antihistamine while using the supplements?

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, I stopped giving the antihistamines on daily basis. The ONLY time I give them now is when he has an outbreak under his belly and under his elbows. He's only had one dose of them since I started all these supplements.

I truly hope they will work for your girl just like they worked for Oscar. :) Please keep us posted, would you?

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
The package arrived this afternoon and immediately fed my dog. As I was doing so, I smelled and tasted most of the products. That stuff is NASTY smelling and tasting, but my dog ate every bit of it. If I am giving it to the dog, I had to taste it too.

Wendy, I am expecting a miracle when I wake up tomorrow morning! hehe.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! I know you said she was a picky eater, but most dogs love stinky stuff.

I have my fingers and toes crossed that this will work as well for you as it is for us. :)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Did your dog have an odor from yeast or staph on the skin? Tosca has an odor about her and I am just wondering if this combination will fix that problem so I don't need to make a trip to the vet.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Update. This may be working or whatever my dog is allergic to is subsiding because I have noticed less scratching. The dog has been off the antihistamine for a few days and have noticed increase of energy. She loves the supplements thus far. My husband is impressed with the changes. I am still washing the dog in certain areas with apple cider vinegar or betadyne. This would be her front and rear paws. Eyes are not as funky as well.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I JUST sent you a PM, asking how Tosca was doing, HAHAHAHAH.

Oh I am SO very happy to hear that you and your husband are seeing an improvement!!!! Is she still in her e-collar?

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Yes, she is still a conehead. lol. I am seriously thinking about taking it off over the three day weekend. I hated putting it on her, but felt it was necessary so that she would not lick her paws raw. Having the cone helped me sleep at night because I knew as soon as I stopped watching her, she would lick any topical I put on to soothe the sores.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
For the past couple of days, I am not smelling anything foul about my dog. The scratching has subsided dramatically. My dog is wearing a cone though to prevent licking her front paws or possibly hotspots on her back. The front paws look good, not redness between the "toes". I wish I could say the same regarding the rear feet.

So far everything is improving. I hope as I continue using the combination of these supplements, her muzzle improves. It doesn't smell "yeasty" as before, but still itchy and discolored.

MsPony

Aug 14, 2013
The sebolux shampoo should really help with any extra smell, I've sold it for yeasty dogs before. I love the whole virbac line in general :p

Came on here for ideas, I have .73 cents in the bank, a SUPER itchy dog and can't find her miracle spray I always use! I live in not just the flea capitol of America, but also the allergen Capitol, yay me. Dog has flea saliva allergies and is an outdoor herding dog, so she's also sitting in the allergens all day. Been trying calm coat, zephyrs garden Rustys itch spray, and just found my ZG stop the itch salve. (We were thinking about bringing the line in, guess who got to test all the products? Perks!)

I have plenty of Chlorella, ill start giving her some.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
The supplements that Wendy recommended is not working for us. We are continuing with the Krill oil (Omega 3) and spriulina though. My husband has been talking about probiotics and enzymes for the past week so we are going to try that. Behind my back, my husband has been giving Tosca enzymes and admitted today that he has been doing it. He was gloating that he is aware of changes which are less itching and not having to go potty during the night as she had been for the past few weeks. If he had been wrong, and did something to hurt my baby girl, he would be living somewhere else because I love her so much.

Last edited:
OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
So sorry they're not working for you, Denise. They continue to work amazingly on my Oscar. His coat has NEVER looked better.

Now that fall has arrived, and the mornings and evenings are quite cool already, I have started NOT giving Oscar the Astragalus and Reishi Mushrooms, and he is continuing to do excellent.

No more itchy scratchy here. :D

So the ONLY things Oscar is currently on are the Omega 3s and the Spirulina (stopped the Omega 3 6 9s a couple of weeks ago).

He's also still on the exact same dog food I started on (TOTW + RAW)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Lucky you! I cannot wait for winter so whatever Tosca is allergic to DIES! lol. Every dog is different so we will keep trying. Hopefully we will figure something out soon. The idea of going to the vet for other options is not appealing.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Maybe I spoke too soon. Tosca's is not licking her paws. I just looked at them and they are no longer red. I have been washing them every time she comes in from being on the grass. She has been on a dog food with a novel protein which is venison with sweet potato. She has been getting the spirilina and krill oil every morning. I stopped the 369 because her ear was getting funky. My husband has been giving the dog some digestive enzymes so I am not sure if that is what she needed. Yesterday her BM was really soft so I am not sure what the deal was. Later in the day it was back to normal.

I expected the same results as Wendy overnight. Maybe it takes a while for changes. Wendy, I am really glad that you started this thread because we are making some headway. I wish I knew for sure what exactly changed. Is it the supplements or has the environment changed due to the seasons changing? I am also using Braggs organic vinegar in the drinking water as well as wiping her feet with it whenever she licked her paws. It is suppose to soothe the itching when dilluted 50/50.

I know I am all over with my thoughts today, but I want to help others like Wendy helped me. I do not believe allergy shots are the answer after reading up on enzymes, probiotics, and diet. Somebody told me that the shots were not the answer too and gave supplements instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions