One week since adoption and things are going well....mostly.

TonyCagg

Jun 30, 2011
Upstate New York
Parrots
Nic Nic..."World's Quietest" Eleonora Cockatoo
So it has been a full week since Nic Nic came to join our family. For the most part things have been going incredibly well.

He is very quiet, rarely makes a sounds EXCEPT for when he sees us with a plate of food...all bets are off then, and he starts screaming, usually just a few times as we ignore his pleas and go about our business and he settles down as quickly as he started.

He adores my two sons and gets excited when he sees them. He loves to watch them and if they leave the room he gets restless.

The dogs seem as though they could care less and although he always keeps an eye on them, he really doesn't seem interested in the and their goings on.

NOW FOR THE "MOSTLY" PART...

When he arrived he was friendly toward both my wife and I the same. Now he is starting to show that he has an obvious preference for me, even though she is very sweet to him and handles him with confidence.

My question is....I have been feeding him in the mornings and cleaning his cage. If I were to have my wife share these duties more, do you think he would take to her a bit more?

Also, if we are in the room together, he goes to her more readily, but after a few minutes he begins to try and move my way.

Nic Nic is part of our family...he is not MY pet alone. I realize it is very early in the "bonding" process, but I really want him to be a part of this family and be comfortable and happy with us both..

ANY SUGGESTIONS??? I'm all ears!!!!!

photo.jpg
[/IMG]

PS...That is his "outside for some fresh air cage"...his indoor cage is twice that size.

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Aw, that's such a cute picture! You could try having her feed him but I have known many birds that are fed and cared for by one person and still prefer the other family member more. Sometimes that's just how it goes. Even if he does prefer your company more, I would be happy with that situation as long as he doesn't start to get aggressive towards your wife and it's something you want to try and keep from happening.

upcgirl

Jun 28, 2011
MO
Parrots
Max--Senegal

RIP Ricco--Mexican Red Head Amazon
In general, birds gravitate toward one person. Though they may enjoy everyone in their flock, they will have typically have a stronger bond with one person than they do with the rest of them. And with some birds, their chosen person changes over time.

I have a Senegal. I spend all my time with him. I clean the cage, I feed him, I let him out of the cage and spend time with him. HOWEVER, he loves my boyfriend. If Jon is in the room, Max's attention is on Jon. Jon can completely ignore Max--like he did today.

Today, we came home from church and we all were in the bedroom, where we keep Max. My boyfriend was in the process of changing his shirt; and I, absentmindedly, let Max out of his cage. Max decided to fly and land on Jon for the first time. And we'd take him back, only for him to fly onto Jon again. Max did this several times. If Jon isn't in the room, Max may or may not decide to perch on me. He may choose to land on top of his cage instead.

Nic Nic is still getting used to you all, so things may change before it is all said and done. It looks as if everyone is getting along well, and I am glad to hear that :) Good luck!

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Tony the best advice i can give you is to treat NicNic the same as you do your two boys. My Too doesn't have a favorite person. He loves everyone the same. But i do notice if a visitor is a little unsure of him he'll pick up on it. But never in an aggressive way. I just go with the flow. It took me a year for him to totally trust me, now i am about 99% sure of him but there is still that 1% that i sometimes worry about I guess you just can't be absoultly sure. Although he does give a warning if he isn't happy for some reason. He kind of strikes at me but never has bitten me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts