Open Leg Band - need help knowing what it means

mcmalott

Sep 11, 2011
Lynchburg, VA
Parrots
Vos Eclectus - male - Simon
YN Amazon - female - Lamont
I am my Yellow Naped Amazons 4th owner that I know of....how sad but I am his Forever home and have made plans for him with my son if something were to happen to my husband and me!

He has an open band - CCJ 8807 - I have researched and am sure he was wild caught and know that the first letter means he was quarantined in CA - I think the second letter is the quarantine site and the last letter and numbers are his bird ID.

I am trying to figure out how old he is.....
When the second owner got him she was told he was 3 and she had him for 11 years so at 14 he went to his third owner who had him for 15 years so when he came to me he was 29 and I have had him a year so that would make him 30ish..........

I was hoping something in the band would signify the year he was caught.....I for some reason think he is older.... any help would be great!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub

Rana

Sep 18, 2012
Dublin, Ireland (Republic)
Parrots
Scottie Pippen (Pinapple GCC) Little Bandit (Hahns Macaw)
My hahns has an open leg band as well, but it was a sexing ring, meanig she was surgically sexed. AKJ 447 or something (off the top of my head) AKJ are the initials of the vet that sexed her - Alan K Jones, i managed to track him down but as it turned out, the ring was actually re-used. so we were none the wiser.

Most Reactions

Latest posts