Opinion on cleaner

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
s-l300.jpg

I know peroxide is safe to use in the same house (not right by them) as a cleaner....Is this safe?

More details on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Chem-Girl-Biodegradable-Peroxide-Concentrate-Upholstery/dp/B07Q84J1GY

Ingredients- water, hydrogen peroxide, nonionic surfactant <---5% peroxide solution.....Thoughts?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Depends on your goal!

Hot water and Dawn original is excellent for most all clean-ups.

Disinfecting is another level and most applications really do not require it. Starting in the Spring thru Fall, on those wonderful days with bright sunlight, we use Clorox, with a heavy rise "Outside Only." Most disinfectants are first class dangerous in tight areas, (limited ventilation) and on porous surf. And clearly, far away from the Parrots. Hence, why we do it outside and after a heavy rise and dry, we leave it to the Sun to kill anything else.

My memory of peroxide is that it needs to be applied in a controlled volume that allows it to work, i.e. bubble. But it's been awhile.

Mrs. Boats says that disinfectants are near non-available now-a-days..

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I never understood the use of dawn/dish soap on anything other than dishes - and clearly I’ve never tried it. Doesn’t it create a sudsy mess when you use it, just another thing to clean up?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I never understood the use of dawn/dish soap on anything other than dishes - and clearly I’ve never tried it. Doesn’t it create a sudsy mess when you use it, just another thing to clean up?

Hmmm, not seen that unless you're using too much, possibly? That all said, I wonder what would happen if one used it in the dish washer???

- Hmmm, Likely been penned up in the house too long... Think, we'll leave early tomorrow morning and break the governor's rule by going to the cottage!!! I'll let Julio drive!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17

I mixed a tiny bit in with vinegar and water in a squirt bottle. It’s not enough to suds up and leave a mess, but it does a better job than vinegar alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
this would be used with the intention of killing viruses--- is it safe around birds? vinegar does not kill covid-19 and neither would Dawn unless washing hands/dishes with it/rinsing objects w/ water (to wash it down the drain)-- this is not for me, but my relative wants to use it in the house w/ their bird which is why I am asking (not on the cage or bird stuff, but in the same air-space)

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
noodles123,

I think that we've touched on this topic before. You use a lot of F10sc (or maybe it was laursea) and I use f10scxd with detergent. The detergent is what emulsifies, wets and lifts the physical dirt, even the dead stuff killed by the disinfectant, from the surface that you want to clean and allows it to be washed away. I find the f10scxd a reasonable cleaner being that it is made to be mild and not harmful.

Dawn is a great wetting agent and degreaser and just a drop added to any number of cleaners or disinfectants makes a huge difference in actually washing away the dirt and grease.

If you are using f10sc, why don't you try adding a drop or two of the original Dawn dishwashing soap to your spray bottle and see if it achieves what you're looking for.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
noodles123,

I think that we've touched on this topic before. You use a lot of F10sc (or maybe it was laursea) and I use f10scxd with detergent. The detergent is what emulsifies, wets and lifts the physical dirt, even the dead stuff killed by the disinfectant, from the surface that you want to clean and allows it to be washed away. I find the f10scxd a reasonable cleaner being that it is made to be mild and not harmful.

Dawn is a great wetting agent and degreaser and just a drop added to any number of cleaners or disinfectants makes a huge difference in actually washing away the dirt and grease.

If you are using f10sc, why don't you try adding a drop or two of the original Dawn dishwashing soap to your spray bottle and see if it achieves what you're looking for.

Again-- this isn't for me and it's for someone in a very bad covid-19 area with a bird. They are trying to use it to clean indoors and worried about making sure it will kill covid 19 without harming the bird if they use it in the kitchen etc.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
noodles123,

This is to kill covid-19 and I am asking for a relative. I do use f10 and peroxide (not mixed) to clean in the house, but this is purely for disinfecting...Is it safe as long as it isn't used on the bird's stuff? It's 5% peroxide (no rinse) , water and then that other ingredient mentioned above. They aren't using it to scrub-- they are using it in place of something like Lysol spray on surfaces.

Most Reactions

Latest posts