Opinions on the cage I'm looking at please!

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

New congo grey baby comes home sometime in May!
Looking for opinions on this cage for the catalina macaw we're getting. I found it on craigslist listed for $300. It's practically new, just too big for the owner's living room. I offered $250 and they said yes.

It appears to be a Hanakoa Heights model cage that retails $599.99 Specifics: 74"x40"x32", inside height is 62", 1" bar spacing. Top opens, has two doors on front - a large access door and a smaller door above it that folds forward to act like a perch. Has three feeding stations (I'll have to find cups - she's missing them), and a slide out tray (not pictured). Do you think it's a good size fit for my macaw? Click pics for larger image.

View attachment 2974

View attachment 2973

Last edited:

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Looks nice but I would HIGHLY suggest rigging it in some way so that the top cannot be opened, I've heard some horror stories of birds getting stuck in those type of play gyms and hanging themselves :( I always really liked those types of cages until I heard about this happening and then it scared me. I know some people zip tie the tops closed, although for a macaw you would probably have to use screws or something.

OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

OMG! I will definitely macaw-proof it. I wasn't planning on using the top anyway - I've heard that birds can get very protective of cage top play stands and I'm not trying to have issues with that. Thanks for the advice :)

OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

Okay, scratch that cage! I just found a HUGE cage for a steal using a promo code online! It's the Prevue Hendryx Silverado cage. It's a massive 46" L x 36" W x 78.25" H. The interior is 46" L x 36" W x 63" H. That's what I'm talking about :) It's only $395 with free shipping, on sale from $791!!!!!!! Woohoo!

View attachment 2975

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
He would love that new cage!!!! Be sure to buy a pad lock....They'll learn to open cages pretty quickly....I keep my macaw cage pad locked at all times unless I'm taking him out. He pops it open in just a few sec. They're super smart at figuring things out very quickly!

OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

Oh I know all about escape artists. I'll never forget the day our sun conure figured out the lock on his cage. It was 6:30am, and I woke up to Peetrie (the bird) nestled under the covers with me gently chirping and playing with my ear, as if to say "Hey! I went through all the work of finding you in here- now wake up so we can hang out together!" ROFL.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Love the cage you found on sale, I'm sure your macaw will be happy in that - although I'm sure he'll wanna be out most of the time either way ;)

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
The Silverado is a HUGE cage. I debated getting that myself. It's the perfect size for a macaw. However I have heard it might easily break for some birds, so I don't think I'd put a green wing in it. It should be fine for your catalina, especially since she's young and hasn't learned the full strength of her beak. I have a massive corner cage that I got off craigslist for like 350$, it's GREAT.

Also, check with your breeder and see if they can get cages wholesale. The one I got my macaw for sold her cages for what she bought them for from the cage-makers, real cheap without a mark up :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I would go with that new cage as well since it's such a good deal.

I do like when the tops of the cages open up to make putting in toys easier. I have found that the weight of the toys seems to prevent birds from opening them, but I haven't had a macaw either!

OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

Yeah we are purchasing the larger cage. While I agree that toys would hold the other one's top shut, I like the space of the second cage better. And I'm hoping that since she's young she won't try biting down too hard on the wires, as I too read reviews that some people's stronger macaws bent and snipped them. She'll only be in it to sleep and while we aren't home anyway. I'm looking into play stands for our living room, which is where she'll spend her day. We're going to see her again on Friday and spend some more time just getting to know her.

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Okay, scratch that cage! I just found a HUGE cage for a steal using a promo code online! It's the Prevue Hendryx Silverado cage. It's a massive 46" L x 36" W x 78.25" H. The interior is 46" L x 36" W x 63" H. That's what I'm talking about :) It's only $395 with free shipping, on sale from $791!!!!!!! Woohoo!

View attachment 2975

I also found the same cage from Petco online, and looks great. $429.99 and Free Shipping. (surprised me)

http://www.petco.com/product/111745...verado-Macaw-Dometop-Bird-Cage-in-Silver.aspx

Where did you buy it and what's the promo code ?

Last edited:
OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

See my thread "I'm so excited!" over in the macaws forum for details about the cage deal - I got it from wayfair.com and added it to my cart for $437 (or something like that). I came back to the site about a half hour later and it popped up a 10% off coupon code for me to use with any item. I don't remember what it was - a bunch of letters and numbers, but try what I did and see if it works for you! Shipping is super fast & free. It shipped withing 4 hours of placing the order yesterday and will be here by Tuesday!

Last edited:

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
I just joined and can receive the same discount.

Thanks for the info and I might buy it rather than build a Aviery!

Thanks skylavaulter !!!

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Have you received the cage yet ?

The problem I'm having is the bar spacing. One site says 1-3/8", another 1-3/4" and when I called "All Pet Furniture" she called A & E Cage Co. and said the spacing is 1.2" ? Doesn't it look bigger than 1.2" by the photo ?

You know how reviews can be crazy good & bad, but these bad remarks got to me. I want the quality of cages by King, but their high priced. I really like the size of this A & E but concerned about the quality. Ok, I'm a bit,....of a perfectionist but I want to find the largest and highest quality can I can afford and the best amenities for the bird. We're trying to stay under $600.

THE SEARCH IS DRIVING ME NUTS ! lol

What's everyones thoughts ?

Prevue Hendryx Silverado Macaw Cage - 3155S | All Pet Furniture

WORST INVESTMENT I'VE MADE BARS FELL OUT
Product Review for Prevue Hendryx Silverado Macaw Cage
THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE FOR PARROTS. WILL NOT HOLD UP! AND PET PREVUE WILL NOT ANSWER MY EMAILS ON MY COMPLAINTS. WITH NO PHONE NUMBER TO CONTACT [...]! DO NOT BUY YOU YOUR WASTING YOUR MONEY!
BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Review for Prevue Hendryx Silverado Macaw Cage
The only things good about this cage is the interior size and the size of the door. The bar spacing is too big for any bird that won't be able to rip the cage to shreds. I use it now for my Yellow Naped Amazon who just happens to be a bit on the big side and can't fit his head through...I would NOT put a macaw in this cage. The welding is weak and the "dome top" is held together by small pieces that can very easily be picked apart by a Macaw and if the bird does that, the top will literally collapse in on the bird due to the design of the top. All the doors don't sit quite right so they are hard to open/lock...Basically, until the bar spacing is brought down to 1" this cage is not good at all...and for the money there are better cages out there (especially for a Macaw) I got this cage used from someone who had a Green Wing in it and he had to stop using it before his bird destroyed the cage. He traded it to me for a guitar and said he hoped my bird wouldn't be able to take it apart since Amazon's are not as strong.
BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• BIG.jpg
    BIG.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
OP
skylavaulter

skylavaulter

Jan 29, 2012
West Chester, PA
Parrots
RIP Ivy 3/23/12-4/12/13,

Mine did arrive last week and we LOVE it!!!!! I will say, though, that if you order from their site, you will get a dark grey pewter colored cage. It's NOT green, like in the picture. It does say on the website color is slightly different, but it's 100% not green at all (which I was actually happy about). They also send along some touch up paint if the cage ever needs it (ours arrived just fine). The bar spacing is 1.3, closer to 1.4" wide. So I would say the 1.38" advertisement is correct.

I've never owned such a large bird, therefore never owned such a large cage, but my macaw bites, chews, and climbs around the thing when he's in it and I haven't noticed a scratch or ding anywhere. You CAN bend the wire if you use both your arms and REALLY TRY to (I'm talking using some muscles here), but I am 100% confident that it's strong enough for a macaw.

As far as the top of the cage- the center piece is bolted down by four bolts, plus it sits in a groove on the front and back to lock it in even more. The two side pieces lock into the center piece, and are also bolted down by two bolts each. I don't see a bird being able to easily dismantle the top of the cage, like your reviewer states. Even if it somehow reached its beak around enough to unscrew one, two, or even three bolts (which is impossible due to the angle of them on the outside of the cage), none of the pieces are going to collapse in. The door on ours fits beautifully, and opens/closes without rubbing on the sides at all.

I would have to say that those reviewers got a bad cage, disassembled it wrong, etc. There were also reviewers saying the tray opens from the back - if you aren't stupid and you can follow directions, you will put it together CORRECTLY and the tray will open from the front. I believe people are more likely to write a bad review on a product than a good one, so keep that in mind - I have literally no complaints on ours, and its huge!!!!! Our catalina macaw has plenty of room to spread his wings fully, and there's tons of space still for toys, etc.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
All the cages I have used in the past were powder coated... What kind of paint did they give you???

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
All the cages I have used in the past were powder coated... What kind of paint did they give you???

I agree, what kind of paint did they give you ? You dont want paint coming off the cage and into your birds mouth.
I've never heard of a company sending paint along with their cage....something's strange about this. I would be very careful , and call the company to see just what kind of paint they sent you and why do they think you will need it ? Just curious .

Most Reactions