opinions on this

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
I found a really nice piece of birch that I want to put in my bird cage. However, the town I got it in sprays (overhead with a plane) to kill whatever is killing all the oak here. I am nervous about using any wood from here. If I soaked it in water, scrubbed it with peroxide, and baked it in the oven, would it be safe? or should I just try to find wood else where?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I think you may be wondering if this wood would be safe at any point and the first time the bird showed any signs of illness it would be blamed on the wood. To be really safe and conscientious I would go somewhere where no pesticides are used.

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
Unfortunately, I'd say go elsewhere. I know it's a bummer when you find the perfect branch. I get silly excited when I find the perfect shaped branch for the birds!

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
I agree with the others, you should probably look elsewhere, when in doubt, throw it out. Maybe you could get a manzanita or java perch? Good luck, maybe you could buy brch online, or to mimicking the bark you could wrap bird safe paper around a perch and stick little treats under it to mimic bark and foraging :)

OP
vicky2200

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
Sadly I live in a city, where there are trees, but not many. There are none in my yard and I wouldn't rust getting branches from an unknown source. We have a cabin further north that has a lot of wooded area, but that where they pray pestacides. I'm going to see if my aunt has any branches in her yard down state because I know she doesn't use pestacides.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You want to get fresh fallen or cut banches. Try to go to a construction area where trees are being cut down.

Most Reactions

Latest posts