Oral rinse for dogs???

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I am going to run this past my vet when I talk to him (I was going to email him tonight but I know tomorrow is his day off and I don't want him feeling like I'm bugging him on his down time!) but I know a lot of us here have multiple pets and a whole variety of experiences with them. You are a great pool of information. :)

Sorry if this is long but I was just trying to give the full story:

My dog Chu is about 15 and I adopted him back in 06, with broken and rotten teeth. Really in bad shape. His mouth hurt, smelled, he didn't chew his food, just swallowed it. He had so many extractions he is mostly toothless. He had one particularly tough extraction that left this (I guess it is called oronasal fistula) hole in his gums that is open into his sinuses. The vet has tried a number of ways to get it to stay closed, but in time it opens again, I think from the amount of bone loss.

He occasionally gets a collection of stuff in that hole and I have to use something to pull it out. At one point I had to pull it out and he needed an antibiotic.

Anyhow, I noticed he was continually licking the air. It was as if he had peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth, just licking the air for like a week. I kept checking his mouth but didn't see anything. Finally I used a small plastic fork and reached in the hole and found something stuck in there, cleaned it out and he seems better now.

I am wondering if there is a better method?? Is there a safe rinse, a nasal spray/antiseptic rinse I can use in that area to clean it out better than prodding around every so often?

Anyone have this experience? What have you used that was a good way to keep a hole like that clean (without making the poor dog totally miserable in the process).

Sometimes the amount of neglect you see in a dog you adopt is heartbreaking, and even after trying to address it, there is permanent damage from the neglect. :(

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello, sorry your friend is having trouble with his teeth. Unfortunately it is a very common problem, especially when they are older.

I recently took my Yorkie for a dental cleaning. Yorkies are prone to dental issues. Her vet sent home an oral hygiene rinse that he recommended for regular use for keeping the gums and mouth healthy. He suggested I use it for my two year old retriever as well. Puppy mouth wash is good for all canines, apparently. It might help in your dog's case.

Im sure your vet can tell you if it would help in your dog's case.
Virbac Animal Health. C.E.T. Home Dental Care Oral Hygiene Rinse for dogs and cats

I hope that helps. Well wishes for your special little buddy.

~Allee

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Thanks. I tried other CET products before. I will ask what he thinks of that rinse too.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
So, my vet didn't want me to use an oral rinse because it is open into his nasal cavity. He said I could continue to do what i'm doing (manually pulling things out of that cavity) or I could try using my water pik. So I am going to try the water pik and see how that works. :) Luckily Chu is pretty compliant about things that are wrong with him.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Well gee! I guess the easiest way isn't always the best way. It makes sense with the nasal cavity open into his sinuses though. Chu sounds like a sweetie, I think our dogs understand when we are trying to help.

Most Reactions