Orange-winged with deformed flight feathers

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Sounds like your doing all the right things. PM me a shipping address and i see if i can;t send you a couple of perches.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Yes she can. Someone could get them from another bird and deliverer them right to her.That's why people with aviaries don't like folks to "visit".

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots
Lily - Double Yellow Headed Amazon

Kiwi - Orange Winged Amazon

Princess - Pearl Pied Cinnamon

Chicken - Pearl Pied Cinnamon
by the way i can't pm you i dont have enough posts

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots

Hello U2Gal.

Yes the Full Chem Panel was done , the only thing that was too high is her Cholesterol which was a bit above normal and no she is not in pain at this moment

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Yeah, your post count is at 18 , i think you need like two more post, then you can PM members.

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots

Update :

The Cysts have grown back onto both wings... i am now stuck with the decision or not to remove and cauterize all of her flight feathers

Option 1 = Paying 100$ every 3-4 months to get the cysts to hope that one day she is going to fly again, the problem is that the follicle is prolly so damage that the problem will reoccur on every molt

Option 2 = Get all of her flight feathers cauterize and have to hope that the cyst won't grow back. Yes i understand that a bird is suppose to fly but Kiwi was a rescue bird to us and i think the damage is permanent

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I read back though your post and PMs. A couple of questions come to mind. Has she grown in any primarys that were normal? Any way to tell if it's the same feather follices that keep producing the deformed feathers? She had surgery on the right wing. can you tell if it "fixed" the issue with those feathers? If she could have some of her flights then ,yes ,i vote to have them removed. If any new feather that comes in is being replaced by a deformed feather then ,I'd keep trying to find the cause. It's strange this is only occurs on the wings ,if the cause was disease, you'd think it would effect feathers else where. Sorry ,wish i had the magic answer ,but i don't , just more questions. Are we sure about the PBFD test? It can sometimes come back negative, even in birds that have it. The comment about "soft beak" worries me.

Last edited:

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots

Are you saying i should get her tested again for Beak and feather disease ?

edit : If i put pressure on her beak ( when she let me do it) the beak isn't pealing off and seems hard. What i meant at the beginning id when we got her the beak was pealing a bit and it's not anymore

For the bumblefoot; well she isn't a very active bird and i am trying to make her move more since its not a vitamin deficiency ( from the blood work)

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
, My understanding is that the test isn't 100% . I've heard of birds testing positive after testing negative. After being around your other birds, you might want to ask if the AV thinks another test is worth the money.

OrangeWingedKiwi

May 31, 2013
Parrots

Speaking of other birds, my 2 cockatiels are showing no symptoms of it and we had Kiwi for 10 months now. At first we quarantined her for 40 days ( testing and stuff) and when we found out she was negative we placed her in the same room as the other birds

OP
Marina

Marina

May 14, 2013
Quebec, CA
Parrots
2 female cinnamon pearl pied cockatiels, Princess and Chicken***

1 female OW amazon, Kiwi***

R.I.P Roxy my female pineapple conure***

1 female DYH amazon parrot
Alright to all of you who've been wondering about our girl Kiwi. All tests have come up negative for anything that points to why she has bad or no flight feathers, so it is now to be confirmed that she has heavily damaged feather follicles and the cure is non existent. We either let her wings be with occasional pain meds and minor surgery here and there to remove any very large clubbed feathers or we try the surgery to remove the follicles completely, but they could possibly come back in-grown or what we hope for, not at all which means no pain for her. If they cone back ingrown, that is even more of a problem than clubbed feathers. Right now her pain is either there one day or the next day it isn't. We're debating on what we should decide, one big surgery or little ones here and there for the rest of her life....one vet advises against the big one since the risk of ingrown feathers are too much of a chance; she prefers the just let the clubbed feathers be and give her light pain meds when needed or small surgery when needed method. Another vet will do the big surgery since the risk of ingrown feathers arent that high and might not even present themselves. What to do...

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Good luck and keep us informed. It would be nice if she could be pain free. I don't envy being in your position.

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I'm curious about something. Do you think electrolosis might work on the individual feather follicles instead of surgery?

Most Reactions

Latest posts