onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ouch! If it makes you feel any better Ona got me good on the back of the hand and on my chest today. My hand still has a swollen welt. Dang birbs!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
There is a saying I read somewhere in amongst all my books. I think itā€™s appropriate when living with what is essentially wild animals.
If you stick your head in the lionā€™s mouth thereā€™s a chance he might bite down.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Ouch! If it makes you feel any better Ona got me good on the back of the hand and on my chest today. My hand still has a swollen welt. Dang birbs!
Ouch, dude! Double offense! Conure bites canā€™t feel good- I mean not that any bird bite DOES, but a conure bite has to be worse than a tielā€™s!

As much as we say ā€˜dang birdsā€™, we still love them! They could take a chunk out of our flesh and weā€™d still be like ā€œawww my precious babyā€

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
There is a saying I read somewhere in amongst all my books. I think itā€™s appropriate when living with what is essentially wild animals.
If you stick your head in the lionā€™s mouth thereā€™s a chance he might bite down.
Yup, itā€™s bound to happen. Some times worse than others. But oh well, thatā€™s just the fun of it!

What what if I pet the lion? Would that be choosing peace, like you canā€¦ ehh 30% of the time with borb? Or will he violently rip me to pieces?

TenthDoctor34

Mar 13, 2022
New Zealand
Parrots
Dipsey and Charlie the cockatiels
ouch>> Dipsey has given good bites over the years when he wants to. Hes made my lip bleed before. But birds essentially still 'wild animals" best thing to do is know what triggers it and avoid or not force something when they give warnings. Thou having birds always a risk of bites if misjudge their body language or too late to avoid a bite. My Alex hardly bit but if he was angry or scared enough he would and would leave a good sized bite if he wanted.
Was the reflection from a mirror? As if he has toy mirror that can sometimes just be a problem in general and cause issues. Mine never went crazy with mirrors thou but there is some advice suggesting not to give them one.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
That's unusual if Rico has never bitten you before. Not only did he bite you but he flew to you to attack you... How old is Rico? Has he bitten you before? This behaviour might be hormonal

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
ouch>> Dipsey has given good bites over the years when he wants to. Hes made my lip bleed before. But birds essentially still 'wild animals" best thing to do is know what triggers it and avoid or not force something when they give warnings. Thou having birds always a risk of bites if misjudge their body language or too late to avoid a bite. My Alex hardly bit but if he was angry or scared enough he would and would leave a good sized bite if he wanted.
Was the reflection from a mirror? As if he has toy mirror that can sometimes just be a problem in general and cause issues. Mine never went crazy with mirrors thou but there is some advice suggesting not to give them one.
Rico is kind of psychotic over reflections. He will lose his mind if he sees it in glass, plastic, or a mirror, which is even more reason I try and keep him away from anything reflective. He saw his reflection in the glass of a table, was probably overstimulated on top of being a hormonal little gremlin, and he attacked without too much warning. It HURT for like twenty minutes, but it subsided, and itā€™s scarred very nicely! Another scar, another story to tell- If asked, ofc lol

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
That's unusual if Rico has never bitten you before. Not only did he bite you but he flew to you to attack you... How old is Rico? Has he bitten you before? This behaviour might be hormonal
This happens at least once a year. Last year he was really bad about itā€¦ he almost hit a small artery in my finger once!

So now its just an annual thingā€¦ heā€™s two years old, and it is 100% hormones. Heā€™s way, WAY friendlier now, back to his normal self.

Well, as much as I hate getting bitten on the face, I still, and always will, love the little turd. And Iā€™m glad it only happened once this year, rather than I think 6 or 7 times, like last year.

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
This happens at least once a year. Last year he was really bad about itā€¦ he almost hit a small artery in my finger once!

So now its just an annual thingā€¦ heā€™s two years old, and it is 100% hormones. Heā€™s way, WAY friendlier now, back to his normal self.

Well, as much as I hate getting bitten on the face, I still, and always will, love the little turd. And Iā€™m glad it only happened once this year, rather than I think 6 or 7 times, like last year.
I remember the first time I was attacked by one of my previous tiels Snowy, white as snow, no markings with red eyes. We had such a beautiful bond I needed to only make a had signal and she would fly to me from across the room to cuddle in my hand.

Well one time she flew at me at high speed from her cage and started to bite me hard, she'd never bitten me before. I was so sad about it and confused. Then I saw that she had laid an egg, so i forgave her and learnt more about their hormonal behaviours. Protecting the egg or chicks is an obvious one. It would be harder to identify in males.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I remember the first time I was attacked by one of my previous tiels Snowy, white as snow, no markings with red eyes. We had such a beautiful bond I needed to only make a had signal and she would fly to me from across the room to cuddle in my hand.

Well one time she flew at me at high speed from her cage and started to bite me hard, she'd never bitten me before. I was so sad about it and confused. Then I saw that she had laid an egg, so i forgave her and learnt more about their hormonal behaviours. Protecting the egg or chicks is an obvious one. It would be harder to identify in males.
Well, I do know Rico is a hormonal little gremlin during the summer, so that could be itā€¦ attacks like this never happen in any other season but summer.

Most Reactions