Our 20 Year Old Amazon

ClancyTheAmazon

Aug 7, 2012
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Our 20 Year Old Yellow Naped Amazon Named Clancy :)
Hi Everyone!

Me & Clancy My Yellow Naped Amazon Want To Say Hello To The Community. Clancy Was My Grandmas Parrot & Has Been In The Family Ever Since He Was Born. Since My Gma's Passing We Have Adopted Him Into Our Family. He Has Attached Himself To My Mom & I Have Held Him In The Past..But Not For A Couple Years Since He Bit Me. Since We Put Him In His New Home & Mansion!! He Has Ajusted For The Most Part :) I Visit Him Often When My Mom Is Not Home To Further Attempt To Build Trust With Him..Sometimes Drop A Treat Bc He Comes Close Fast..It Has Worked To An Extent..It Takes Him Awhile To Talk To Me Alone But He Says..Ok A Couple Times With A Clicking Noise. Im The Only One Who Can Whistle In Our "Flock" And Sometimes I Do That With Him To Let Him Know Or Remind Him Who I Am..He Can Go For Hours!! lol :green2:Not Sure If It Helps But I Do Wake Him Up Everymorning With No Problem Occasionaly He Will Make A Meow Sound.. or Aggressivly Longe At His Rope With A Growl.. In The Afternoon Me & My Mom Spend Hours With Him & He Acts Like A Totally Different Bird..I Assume He Has Chosen Her But Recently When She Trys To Take Him Out To Play He Backs Up and Lowers His Head..I Know Its A Clue But He Knows The Step Up Command So Were Not Sure Why He Is So Skeptical..We Can Use a Perch But Will That Make Him Dependent And Less Likely For Us To Hold Him..He Is Aggressive Sometimes..We Have Just Started Taking Him To A Neutral Room With A New Perch..That He Is Skeptical About.. I Would Like To Build A Good Relationship Too I Can Get Close To His Cage With My Face..No Eyecontact And He Interacts With Me..Sometimes Attacks His Nut Toy And It Hits The Cage..Not Sure If Thats Normal? But I Have Been Making Peanut Presents To Encourage Forging..Any Suggestions Would Be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey and welcome to you and Clancy, Yes there are several things you can do to improve your relationship with him. Although he's older and set in his ways 'that can be changed with knowledge, patience and time. Read though some of the older threads and also look up social groups in the "community" section, look for "Bonding with your Amazon". I would also suggest reading about behavior in wild amazons, this will help with understanding your zons and his "quirks". Feel free to ask question ,here or in the" Bonding with your zon" section. I know this is a short answer but read up and the advice in the future will make more sense. In the short term, when you get him to step up, don't take him away from his cage. Put him right back on it. The cage is his safe spot and you taking him away when he steps up is no reward for him ( in fact the opposite,it's punishment for stepping up). Have him learn to step up and quickly put him back. Don't interact with him for so long that he tires of you and bites to "run you off", keep your interactions short and leave him wanting more of your attentions/affection. Reward and praise him for any little baby steps he makes. Zons respect people (flock leader) who is confident,outgoing and affectionate. Don't be timid but don't be pushy when he say's NO (with his actions). Learn to "read " your zon. Much of this type of stuff is in the older threads here in the forum. Hope to see you and Clancy around. PS don't try and "work" with him if his "favorite" person is around , do it when you're alone.

Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Hello and welcome to the forum:)

Just take things slowly with Clancy.. It is all new to him at the moment! Good idea using a perch for him to step up on.. This will at least stop you getting bitten :( After a while once he is used to his new surroundings and you as a Family, I am sure he will be fine.. Unfortunately Amazons do tend to bond with one person... My Yc will only tolerate me!

Just keep talking to him and include him in things that you do.. offer him treats etc and make sure he has a good selection of Toys to keep him occupied! Offer him plenty of Fruit and Veg in his diet as well as Pasta, Brown Rice etc.

Good luck with him and feel free to ask more questions if you are unsure.. There are alot of Amazon Owners on the Forum, who can also advise you!

We would love to see some pics of Clancy :)

OP
ClancyTheAmazon

ClancyTheAmazon

Aug 7, 2012
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Our 20 Year Old Yellow Naped Amazon Named Clancy :)
His Favorite Treat Is Apple Pieces..He Even Managed To Mumble The Word Whenever We Have Food In His Presense..He Talks Extremly Clear. I Know His Vocabulary & Funny Sayings! I Wanted To Know If Me Singing His Favorite Song, Whistling(back and forth to each other), Or Saying Things He Knows Like "Im The Baby Got To Love Me" Or His Name Softly Will Help Promote A Relationship? I Dont Take Him Out Of The Cage..But I Would Like To Someday.. I Know Its Been Tough For My Mom To Take Him Out To Play..He Will Step On The Perch To Take Him Out Of The Cage But We Dont Think He Likes It Much..He Hesitates With The Hand..He Lifts His Foot Sometimes But Then Lowers His Head As If A Warning..He Wont Come Out Of The Cage By Himself Either But Hangs On His Rope Upside Down Laughing..Or Doing His Normal Routine.
Could We Take Him Out With The Perch & Place Him Back In The Cage With Our Hand If We Have Too? Bc We Dont Want The Perch To Become An Everyday Thing.
He Used To Step Up On My Moms Hand To Play Outside His Cage Till Recently & Coming Out Of His Cage On Her Wrist Has Become A New Issue With Him. He Goes Back Into His Cage With Her Hand Tho.. We Love Him And Want Him To Be Happy With His New Home!
Thanks!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Have you followed my advice and read though some of the other post ?

Most Reactions