Our Day Outside....

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Kiwi-3 year old Nanday Conure, Loui-5 year old Gold-capped Conure!
I havent had any reason to post lately until today. So everyone knew that I had clipped Kiwi's wings. Things have gotten so much better!! I gave her space for a while and then she started screaming and chirping for me. Well today I took her outside for the very first time. SHE LOVES THIS. She stayed on my shoulder and coos at me. Then I laid in the grass and told her "down". She climbed down my arm and into the grass. And then, I told her "step up" and she did. I moved her over to another part of the lawn and then told her "step down". She did. Training her has gotten so much easier its unreal. She stays with me at all times except for when I put her up for naps etc. But she's doing this thing where if I leave the room she screeches and does that high pitch chirp. When I come back in the room she stops. Oh, also. Can anyone tell me what she's doing? She was on my shoulder earlier today and out of the corner of my eye I saw her doing something I've not seen before. She had her mouth wide open and her head was bobbing up and down really fast. What is this? Is she okay?????

DaCoSim

Feb 17, 2012
Katy, TX
Parrots
Tiels- Calypso & Syrio~
GCCs- Turq- Midori & Luna
Pine-Moonshine, YS-Sunshine ~
Linnies - Yoshi & Sonic~
Letties - Link and Nimbus~
Sounds like she was trying to regurgitate for you.

Roxy_9_2011

Feb 3, 2012
Media
Albums
Michigan
Parrots
Roxy-Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Zeus-Turquoise conure, Carlos- YN Amazon & Jazz- GW macaw
She is most likely doing a flock call for you when you leave. She'll do this every time you're out of sight, unless you train her to quiet down. When you come back in the room while she is calling out, it's reinforcing her unfortunately. One thing that really helps is to call back while you're in the other room, like saying "hey, hey". Doing this helped the noise level with my GCC. She still does call out whenever I "vanish" but it's a lot less in volume and she quiets down quicker too. To train her to do it less, you can't come back into the room until she completely stops making noise. If you don't mind her calling out, then there isn't any worries.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
I agree with Roxy_9 that your bird is doing a flock call. Mine will do the same and as long as I call back to him, (Hi There), he doesn't over do it. He just wants to be sure I hear him and wants to know where I am.

When we are outside on our walks, however...there is a totally different call, it's his cockatoo call, which I have to admit, I've perfected. I'm sure I would freak most people out with this, my husband wishes he could...but it works. Amigo and I communicate this way when he is out and about. If I hear him call from a distance, I'll call back and here he comes!

OP
C

crzybird

Feb 19, 2012
Kansas
Parrots
Kiwi-3 year old Nanday Conure, Loui-5 year old Gold-capped Conure!
Kiwi and I went on a walk today too. She sat on my shoulder and enjoyed everything going on around her. It was cute because she tried imitating a robins call. She also went for a ride in the car with me. She sat on my shoulder and we listened to the radio. She didnt act the least bit frightened. I'm really happy that she is getting along so much better now. I'm still worried about the having her mouth wide open and bobbing her head up and down. If she was trying to regurgitate for me...does that mean she's trying to take care of me? LOL. It was really odd to watch her do that.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Puck does the head bobbing thing when he's really excited to see someone. He doesn't really regurgitate all the way though. It means she likes you a lot, and it might mean that she thinks you are her mate. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts