Our macaw seems sick, help

OP
L

Layla2012

Feb 21, 2017
PA
Parrots
1 green wing macaw
I first wanted to apologize. I am new to the Parrot Forum and immediately asked for help and suggestions. I feel bad that this is how I approached everyone, but I was desperate. Just an update on Layla - she seems to have her full appetite back and seems very happy. After visiting the doctor on Tuesday, he prescribed Flagyl to treat possible Colitis - we did not start this yet because we aren't sure what is going on yet. He ran tons of tests, sent out for parasitic tests (which we are still waiting on), tested her crop for infection/yeast (it's clear) an he said no bad bacteria, small amounts of budding yeast that he wasn't too concerned with. Her good bacteria is back up to 100%. Her feces seem to be more normal than before, they are still a little puffy.

My concern now is that her around her eyes, there appears to be some swelling and redness. It's so strange. I'm still just so worried. Has anyone ever had this happen to their baby? There isn't any seepage or goo around her eye...just slightly puffy and red. I am just so afraid we are missing something and I don't want something bad to happen. I emailed the doctor and he didn't seem too concerned about it. He just said to keep an eye on her.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Glad to hear an update! I'm relieved Layla is doing better. About the eye thing, some others may comment, but I would listen to your vet on this and just keep an eye on it for the next couple days. She could've just irritated it somehow with a toy, her own foot, etc, so I personally would not be too worried, unless it gets worse, in that case bring her to your vet again right away.

So sorry you are having such trouble with your new baby, though. I'm sure it is very stressful for everyone involved. Hoping your baby getts through this all with flying colors!! :)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It could be a reaction to all the meds, or one of the meds alone, as swollen eyes is often a symptom of that. Is she scratching at them at all?

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

OP
L

Layla2012

Feb 21, 2017
PA
Parrots
1 green wing macaw
It's been almost a week that her eyes have been like that. My first thought was the meds also. She itches at them but not constantly. Definitely more often than before. I wonder if she is scratching because of something going on and the swelling and redness is from her itching.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Don't appologize - thats what this forum is all about. And besides, ... it's bad form! Just keep a close eye. No pun intended. With along illness or recovery, it helps to keep a notebook on observations, even a chacklist to use , keep times of observations what each symptom looked like, etc. You know... Marcus Wellby it up. Dr Kildare , and ER... even small changes should be noted, parrots hide stuff so well. Hoping she gets better the poor girl.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
No need to apologize! Your fellow members learn something from every situation, and the running commentary is helpful. Oft times we are collectively helpful. From a mod POV, we see so many situations with members offering advice and guidance only to have the discussion abruptly end with no closure. We wish, of course, for Layla to completely heal and see the best of outcomes!

If Layla continues to have health issues, it may be helpful to seek another opinion from an avian certified vet. I understand the expense and often the lack of options depending on location.

Most Reactions

Latest posts