Our new child...Tilly

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
you could place a shallow dish of water, not too hot or too cold, and let him explore that. also see if he likes to be gently misted with water from a spray bottle, same temperature. make sure he has somewhere where he wont be cold when he dries off. this is a good way to introduce him to water so hes more confortable when you introduce him to the shower

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks all. He has such a personality already! He def likes to hang out with everyone. My wife went and picked up that activity center today. She found it locally for $120, so I am excited to get that setup for him tonight!

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
Here are some new pics form today: I am really amazed by the peach coloration, he really is like a little mini Moluccan.

013tj.jpg

012ja.jpg

010ftz.jpg

008oh.jpg

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
AWWW, So cute! I'm glad hes settling in. My vet recommended not to shower, but to lightly mist about four times a week. I would suggest making an appointment with a spe******t to get established (in the area that you are in, the emergency clinics do not have vets on staff that are capable of seeing birds - except for what they look up in a book upon presentation, if they are even willing to go that far. What they will do is call in your regular vet for an after hour emergency. Most avian vets will only see after hour emergencies for clients that are already established. So its vital that you get established in case something happens. I stress this because if you don't do this then you will find yourself driving to either Tampa to FVS or to Gainsville to the University to get your bird seen after hours for an emergency. With bird emergencies time is vital). Also find out from the previous owner whether Tilly was DNA tested or not. If not then when you are at the vet I would suggest doing so. Congrats, Tilly is super cute.

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
AWWW, So cute! I'm glad hes settling in. My vet recommended not to shower, but to lightly mist about four times a week. I would suggest making an appointment with a spe******t to get established (in the area that you are in, the emergency clinics do not have vets on staff that are capable of seeing birds - except for what they look up in a book upon presentation, if they are even willing to go that far. What they will do is call in your regular vet for an after hour emergency. Most avian vets will only see after hour emergencies for clients that are already established. So its vital that you get established in case something happens. I stress this because if you don't do this then you will find yourself driving to either Tampa to FVS or to Gainsville to the University to get your bird seen after hours for an emergency. With bird emergencies time is vital). Also find out from the previous owner whether Tilly was DNA tested or not. If not then when you are at the vet I would suggest doing so. Congrats, Tilly is super cute.

previous owner said that the Breeder advised him at time of purchase that he was a Male, so I am guessing a DNA test was done, but the owner did not know for sure. What are the advantages of DNA testing? I mean why does it matter?

As far as a Avian vet, we actually have one who is a friend of ours, retired mostly, but works out of his residence and lives about 1 block away. So emergencies are covered for the most part, however we do intend to find a full time vet for normal hours.

Here is a photo of his new activity center...

tilly12.jpg

tilly10.jpg

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
Congrats on you new baby. Just a question tho, can my 4 birdybabies come over for a play date? (we live Melbourne Australia, so it might take a while to get there) :D That play gym is huge!! I wanna climb on it too. Did it really only cost $120. We dont have anything like that especially at that price over here. You guys are soo lucky. But we (Australia) have the cockatoos. :p
In my area, there a flocks of approx 200 causing mayhem to the new housing estates (not mine tho, been here over 11yrs). They are a beautiful sight but LOUD!!!!!!! and very destructive. But we took over their habitat, so I say to the humans that are complaining, "suck it up, you kicked them out of their home, they are just trying to get rid of you"

OP
D

dissident

Aug 2, 2011
Congrats on you new baby. Just a question tho, can my 4 birdybabies come over for a play date? (we live Melbourne Australia, so it might take a while to get there) :D That play gym is huge!! I wanna climb on it too. Did it really only cost $120. We dont have anything like that especially at that price over here. You guys are soo lucky. But we (Australia) have the cockatoos. :p
In my area, there a flocks of approx 200 causing mayhem to the new housing estates (not mine tho, been here over 11yrs). They are a beautiful sight but LOUD!!!!!!! and very destructive. But we took over their habitat, so I say to the humans that are complaining, "suck it up, you kicked them out of their home, they are just trying to get rid of you"

Yes $120, which I think was a great price, and Tilly certainly likes it. Austrailia is the one place that the wife and I would love to visit some day. You buy the tickets and i'll pack the play center up and bring it with us! ;)

birdybabies

Aug 4, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Billy & Finley (Budgies)
Malakai (Blue Quaker)
Murphy (Green Quaker)
Rhyly (Cockatiel)
Oakley (IRN)
Disco (Lovebird)
Better yet, you buy the tickets, bring the play gym and I will show you the flocks of wild cockatoos. Absolutley stunning, approx 200 at a time flying up from the ground almost in sequence, squawking at the top of their lungs. AMAZING but LOUD! But I am a bird lover so I appreciate and see the beauty of it, others arent so happy about it.
Seriously, you enjoy your beautiful Tilly

Molcan2

Jul 19, 2011
Lake Co., Florida
Parrots
Princess Rome- Moluccan Cockatoo (18yrs old), Rosie - Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo (2yr old)
That is a really nice play gym, Tilly looks super happy. There is a lot of importance with knowing the gender of your bird. Knowing the gender will help when adding another bird in the future. Also if you have a female then you will have to take extra measures to ensure that you are not promoting egg laying behavior. Cockatoos are egg laying machines. There are a lot of complications with egg laying (egg bound, malnutrition from too low calcium - but you don't want too much calcium either, prolapsed cloaca...etc). For instance if you have a male you could give him a little hut or tent, with a female she will see a nest and lay eggs in it. Males you can pet them down their backs, females think your trying to breed with them when you do this. Knowing the gender helps you to prepare you for and can help you to prevent certain situations.

Right now Romeo's DNA is still pending. Her previous owners told me that she had laid eggs in the past. The spe******t says that every characteristic that Romeo has supports being a male (eye color, position of pubic bones). Previous owner did have multiple birds so I'm making sure that she is in fact a she (but secretly hoping for a boy, even though she acts like a typical female Moluccan). If she is in fact a female, the Dr. said that he would be very surprised as he has never seen a female with this strong of male characteristics before. DNA is the only accurate way to tell. Its not a must, but you only do it once in the birds life so why not know?

Most Reactions