Our new girl!

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots
Toby - Crimson Bellied Conure

Mercedes - Female Vosmaeri Eclectus
Here's our new Vos girl. She'll be two on April 15. We got her from a woman in Maryland who originally bought her from a breeder in Michigan, Susan's Parrot Place. Has anyone heard of them? The first night went well and she's definitely a good eater. Her name is Mercedes, which I'm not too fond of, haha. Is it detrimental to change her name? Anyone have any name ideas? Also, any good foraging tips/toys and a good chop mix?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 153

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats and what a beautiful girl she is!!! I like my girl's name Gracie and no you can change their names as they get used to it eventually.

Please have a visit here....>Eclectus Parrots

She should have a new cage soon as the paint is all chipping off the cage bars and also new rope perch as the one she's got is frayed. She also needs a nail trim so a vet check up would hurt to also get all that done.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
She is beautiful! Congratulations:) My daughter's dog's name is Mercedes and she called her Mercy:) You can definitely change her name though. when we changed a couple of our birds names, we used the new name with the old name for awhile before dropping the old name. My YCA was named Rollie, and we renamed him Dexter, so for awhile we called him Dexterrollie, beofre finally dropping the rollie part.

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

Congrats and what a beautiful girl she is!!! I like my girl's name Gracie and no you can change their names as they get used to it eventually.

Please have a visit here....>Eclectus Parrots

She should have a new cage soon as the paint is all chipping off the cage bars and also new rope perch as the one she's got is frayed. She also needs a nail trim so a vet check up would hurt to also get all that done.

She came with that cage and rope perch, but yes we are in the market for a new cage and I am planning on buying her some new perches today :) I also noticed her nails and will be bringing her into our avian vet sometime this week. Thanks!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
She is beautiful, she does look like she could use a good long bath. I bathe mine everyday mostly, sometimes I skip a day if I get too busy but never more than that.
I have many rope swings and boings hung from the ceiling for my crew but I don't put them in the cages. Eclectus are such messy eaters and eat so much mushy warm food that I don't like to have them in the cages as I think they are too hard to keep clean and collect too much food. Enjoy your new girl! :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Beautiful. I love the look of the Vos females with the more purple chest and bright yellow tail tips. Exquisite!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
The eclectus formerly known as Mercedes looks absolutely beautiful! And she seems like a real charmer. Thanks for sharing.

cgsouljah

Feb 13, 2014
oahu, hawaii
From what I gather is parrots in general are rather easy or rename regardless of age...I just think they are smart enough to know their own identity! Parrots are amazing aren't they?

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

Thanks for all the advice! Haven't thought of a new name for her yet though, so if anyone has any ideas please let me know! She is definitely a messy eater and she prefers to eat outside of her cage, which is fine by me :) She's a little cage aggressive, but once I get her out/off of her cage she's fine. Is there any way to train her to not be cage aggressive? Could she be acting this way because she's in a new environment or is this pretty typical? Her former owner said she showered her 4-5 days a week. I brought her into the shower, but she didn't seem too interested. Thinking about buying her a perch for the shower.

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
We have a perch for Ziggy to use inside the shower. Ziggy tolerates his showers, but isn't in love with them.

Can you wait until she climbs out of her cage before you try picking her up?

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

We have a perch for Ziggy to use inside the shower. Ziggy tolerates his showers, but isn't in love with them.

Can you wait until she climbs out of her cage before you try picking her up?

I usually do, but even if she is perching on the door or on top of her cage she'll lunge for my hand, but not bite. She did step up on me from the cage once though.

skylala

Jun 19, 2013
Hunter Valley, NSW. Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Jiraiya
I love naming new pets!!

I usually prefer 'different' names over really common names. I'm sure the name Ruby is pretty common for a female eclectus for example.

My boys name is Jiraiya (Sounds like Mariah), and he's named after one of my favorite characters from a cartoon show I watch lol.

Not sure if you'll like any of these, but I'll throw down some girl names to give you some ideas.

Kiska
Athena
Freya
Unna
Winnie
Gracie
Nessa

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm horrid at names. My partner does all the pet naming. But I wanted to add that your baby is gorgeous!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
As soon as I saw her, the name Prada popped in my mind.
Prada is a female name meaning light, glow, shine. From Hindu origin.
Shis beautiful. Congrats.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I would try getting her to step up on a stick from inside the cage. I have a female that has been protective of her cage since she was pretty young. I respect her space while not letting her have the upper hand. I ask her to step up on a perch then as soon as the perch with her on it clears the cage door I ask her to step up on my hand which she does right away. It's funny I can clean, re-arrange toys and do other stuff in the cage with her in it no problem, she just most times would rather I didn't reach in with my hand to get her out. There are many times that she will rush to the front and I know she wants to come out for play time so I don't bother with the perch first but when she has that "look in her eyes" or when she is toward the back of the cage I save myself the hard bite and her the trauma of having to bite me :09: and just use the perch.

OP
SophiaMiller

SophiaMiller

Feb 15, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Parrots

Hey all! Just wanted to post an update on our girl. We don't have internet hooked up at our house yet which is why I hadn't replied in so long! She is doing very well and is stepping up without complaint. She's also getting very chatty and will randomly yell "Ouch! Ow!" Not sure how she picked that up, but it's cute. We took her into our avian vet the other day for a nail trim and exam. She said all looks well with her. She also hasn't plucked since she's been with us and I'm noticing feathers growing back in! Yay! As for names, I'm liking Gina or Penelope(Penny for short).

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 71

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
She is beautiful!!! With a fiery tail like that, you could also name her Phoenix! Wow!

Most Reactions

Latest posts