Our new puppy !

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Adorable !

"I bet there are some mutts in dog shelters that would make healthy and non aggresive family dogs"

Your absolutely right. There's nothing wrong with having mutes, and most will make for a very good family pet. I wish more of us would save animals from shelters. And,....the cost is much lower than from a breeder.

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
My 2 cents: It has always bothered me the phrase "adopted from a breeder". The dog is a purchase. If you are comfortable doing it, then own it. You bought a dog from a breeder. People can judge if they want to. Same with "saved from a rescue". The rescue saved the bird - you adopted it. I know this is semantics, but as a rescuer, I can tell you that no animal needs "saved" from my rescue. And, "adopted" is a special term for those who take in a homeless animal in need.

Marcia-- We routinely get Presas in my shelter. You can get any breed you want through rescue. Sure, some may take more patience, but it can be done.

AKC is meaningless-- most of the puppy mill dogs out there, and the pet store dogs, are AKC. And don't get me started on the other new registries that are popping up that "register" anything you care to spend a few bucks to get a piece of paper on.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I did not know that presas end up in shelters of course I know any dog can I would NEVER buy form a breeder no matter what kind of dog though! Mutts are the best breed :) I agree AKC is meaningless they dont regulate the people they are allowing to be registered and many AKC dogs end up in shelters

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
My 2 cents: It has always bothered me the phrase "adopted from a breeder". The dog is a purchase. If you are comfortable doing it, then own it. You bought a dog from a breeder. People can judge if they want to. Same with "saved from a rescue". The rescue saved the bird - you adopted it. I know this is semantics, but as a rescuer, I can tell you that no animal needs "saved" from my rescue. And, "adopted" is a special term for those who take in a homeless animal in need.

Marcia-- We routinely get Presas in my shelter. You can get any breed you want through rescue. Sure, some may take more patience, but it can be done.

AKC is meaningless-- most of the puppy mill dogs out there, and the pet store dogs, are AKC. And don't get me started on the other new registries that are popping up that "register" anything you care to spend a few bucks to get a piece of paper on.

BEAUTIFULLY said!!!!! I have goosebumps now. :)

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
I agree, but come on,....rescued, saved, bought, purchased, got, adopted, received, given, etc..... does it really matter ? lol :p :D

It doesn't matter to me because we don't show our pets, but if your intent is to show the dog, you need the paperwork, otherwise it's really meaningless.

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
it may not matter to you but to the dog in a kill shelter it means they get to live or die based on your decision on weather to adopt or buy one from a breeder.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
My mom does not not show dogs (she looked into it but was turned off by it). She does provide training classes. I do not know if dog shows do a good represintation. For example alot of show German Shepherds have backs and hips that are not right for the breed(what the breed was originally) . I would like to get a big dog. Though I want a German Shepherd I will focus more on personality. I am thinking of adopting a dog from the shelter (maybe the dog will already be fixed) or from someone that can no longer keep their dog. Hopefuly, most people that pay for a full bred dog am motivated to work with the dog, train it and make it work. Sadly, with most people a large amount of money spent makes them work harder on doing what needs to be done. I know military dogs and police dogs cost those sectors alot of money to buy. Adopting a dog is alot different then adopting a parrot. I am sure there are small parrots that would do good with people with bird knowlege but some problem birds (or large birds) might be too much for people that are not bird experts. I think for some people growing along side some birds would be the best. I do not mean weaning a baby bid but I mean a bird that is still young. I am still learning everyday but I think me and Clover will grow nicely togeather. We have both came along ways already. I tamed a budgie as a child but I do not claim I would be a good canidate for a Macaw, too, or Amazon that has some issues.

Last edited:
OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
it may not matter to you but to the dog in a kill shelter it means they get to live or die based on your decision on weather to adopt or buy one from a breeder.

I'm getting very tired of you slamming me about not buying from a shelter, rescue, humane society. Do I really need to keep quoting the start of my thread and my other reply's,... that we've saved many cats & dogs and that this is our first time buying from a breeder !!! GET OFF MY BACK Marcia !

We feel wonderfull,... that we have saved so many animals in the last 25 years. We also give $250 per year to our local "Capitol Humane Society" and last year gave $2,500 to help them build their new facility, which will be state of the art.

And not that it matters to us to be noted, but they are making us a "Gold Member" with a nice plague along with other past & current donors, to be mounted inside the building in a special area and a ceremony which our Mayor will present the plaques to us and speak about how much we and others have & will,... make a difference .

I can look at our receipts, but I assume we've donated around $9,000 since Patty and I met 25 years ago.

If you can't refrain yourself from bashing me for no reason,... then please do not reply again !

Here's link to our humane society and since you feel so adamant about these programs like we are, please help them out with a donation !

Main page-

A Better Location

Here's the link for your considerable donation.
Thank you in advanced ! :D

Capital Humane Society : Celebrate Me Home : How You Can Help
04c1a44a-591a-4139-81b0-fcefe7f8080e.jpg

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Oh, and remember, we adopted our Cockatoo from the New Mexico Macaw Parrot Rescue, and although she does not charge a fee, we gave her $500 anyway, for food & toys just because she does such a wonderful service and loves her birds.

Please also donate to them. Anna is a fantasic person !
Macaw and Cockatoo Rescue of New Mexico

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
ok listen IM sorry i dont mean to slam you just saying the truth.... It is great that you have adopted many animals! sorry i have offended you. I was not trying to bash you. I do a lot of rescue and volunteer work myself although I dont have the funds to donate often.

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Here's Sparky at 4 months old. We call hem,...."The Terrier Terrorist", as he terrorizes our other dogs, including our Boxer. lol

(wanted to post more but having problems with Photobucket) ?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my gosh Sparky is ADORABLE!!!! He looks like his name suits him 100% ;) WHAT a cute face and what AWESOME color and markings!!!

I can't believe he terrorizes your boxer. WOW! Doesn't he "play" back, with both feet up on the air? LOL.

(I've been having problems with photobucket for the past 2 days....NO clue what is going on. I download 5 pics, but only 2 show up. VERY strange)

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
lol,....Major the boxer say's, "I'm too damn old for a puppy terrorist"!
Na,. he is 14 and gets tired fast, but he and the other dogs really like him. He actually will get on the couch and LAUNCH IN THE AIR,...onto Majors back on the floor. lol !!!
It's really funny to watch !

We really like his markings too. We were to get the other male, which had a mostly white back, but the couple that had Sparky picked out, had to withdraw due a change of job and location, so the breeder called us with the great news that he is available. We really wanted the saddle back and figure we were meant to be. :D

He's a ball of fire, like all terriers and is very intelligent, almost too much, as he gets into trouble a lot. I think he believes his name is,..."STOP" ! :mad:
:D:D:D

Last edited:

Zazoothehahns

Apr 5, 2013
Your pup is so cute! Looks like an energetic bundle of joy! We have two mini Aussies and I can not imagine having full size ones with their energy level!

OP
427HISS

427HISS

Jan 23, 2012
Nebraska
Yeah, he's adorable,......WHEN HE'S SLEEPING ! lol

He doesn't run the the Energizer battery, it more of a nuclear power plant !
Just kidding, he's a really good boy.

Do you have any pics of your rug rats ?
The Aussies are very smart and all around great dogs, especially for active'

MissTaz

May 11, 2013
Utah
Parrots
Rory ~ A male turquoise green cheek conure ~ Hatched 02-12-2013
I love your new puppy thank you for sharing.

Most Reactions