out door macaw play yard

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Was looking into purchasing a outdoor kennel of my macaw Nemo. They are WAY expensive. Any suggestions on building a portable, moveable, play area that won't break the bank??

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Exactly! Priced kennels and running 350. What did you use. Want lots of space and moveable. Wonderful pics. Thank you.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Yeah they are dog kennels with shade cloth on the top to keep direct sun off.

The first pic is actually a flight for smaller birds but the macaws ended up in there that day it has welded wire mesh with PVC coating all around. Also, lots of zip ties:)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Reminder: Galvanized metal is toxic to parrots.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Scrub it down with vinegar. The outside coating of zinc makes it toxic but you can neutralize the coating with a good scrubbing and soaking of vinegar. It will rust faster so will need to buy new ones at some point. I didn't do these flights myself the shelter I volunteer/work at did the research and put them together.

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Ok. Trying to grasp this. Dog kennels and chain link need to be scrubed with vinegar? Is there a safer option?

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
You could just get a bunch of pvc to use as the frame and then use the welded wire mesh with pvc coating. Like the first pic with pvc as frame instead of metal. You can fill the pvc with sand to anchor it as you build it.

OP
C

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
Thanks riddick. Sounds like a plan. Getting cold here but still have somegreat indian summer days to go!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You could just get a bunch of pvc to use as the frame and then use the welded wire mesh with pvc coating. Like the first pic with pvc as frame instead of metal. You can fill the pvc with sand to anchor it as you build it.

I've seen portable ones where they used those cast iron umbrella stands to anchor the PVC and keep it from blowing over, and then welded wire mesh.

I've also seen those portable car cover frames used as the frame, and then just covered with wire mesh. I was never impressed with the DIY doorways on those kinds of set ups though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts