Outdoor Aviary Blueprints

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
Just finished making blueprints for an outdoor aviary that I am going to be building for use during the summer of course! I'm so excited for the birds, they will have so much room to fly and forage and, in Dezis case, he can learn to fly in the aviary, because he has really no flight knowledge accept for flight in a straight line.

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure~ Baby/Blue Front Amazon~ Cookie/Timneh African Grey~ Dezi/Normal Green Cheek Conure~Petri
I forgot to mention the aviary is going to be 20'long by 10'wide by 10'tall with 2,000 square feet of flight space, along with many wood beams to attach perches, toys, boings, foraging toys, shredder toys, and food/water dishes.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great design.

Remember, racoon is common in your area. So your floor design needs to fend-off their efforts at digging into your aviary.

Consider a floor drain, which will aid in cleaning. Check your local zoning. You may have to tie it into your sewer system.

Regarding zoning, make sure you can build this kind of structure and what requirements there are in place i.e. set-backs, materials, permits, etc...

OP
Williamsong

Williamsong

Nov 19, 2014
South Beloit, Illinois
Parrots
I don't think i will need all that because I'm only going to have the birds out there a few hours each day, never overnight.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I still would suggest doing a double outside panel, inside with the screen that you've chosen for the birds, and a distance of a few inches apart, a second screen and frame, to protect from wild birds and wildlife. It's just an extra precaution and peace of mind.

Now I want to draw up blueprints for my theoretical aviary (of which I have no space for living in the city!)

Most Reactions