outdoor aviary help!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I really want to rescue a macaw but my house is too small to house one comfortably so I want to build an outdoor aviary for year round use. I live in GA so I need to know if I even can have one for year round use. It can get up to 100 degrees F. in Summer and down to 30-20 degrees F. in Winter. I would be building it completely from scratch so if it is possible to have one what materials would I use? I don't want the bird to get too cold in winter so I was thinking plexiglass and a heater maybe, but would it keep the heat in at all, and what about summer would it be too hot??? please anything you know is very helpful! Also i need help on what to use to heat it?

Last edited:

babyfae

Dec 30, 2012
Pennsylvania, US
Parrots
Male Alexandrine, 9 months.
I want to build one also, but I have no idea where to start, lol. I would just be using mine for some outdoor time in the summer for my Alex.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I hate to say it, but a year-round outdoor aviary just doesn't sound like it's going to work out for you. Your area experiences too much temperature extremes, and unless you get a professional to basically build a mini house for the macaw with heat and cooling (100 is too hot for a parrot, even for just a few hours), it's not going to be a good environment.

I will say, parrots are VERY adaptable to climate-controlled smaller homes. We have lived nearly 5 years with our BFA in a >500sq ft, single bedroom apartment. He's a perfectly happy, well adjusted bird who doesn't mind his cozy living accommodations. His cage and play tree do take up a good chunk of our living room, but it makes him all the more center of attention :). My parents used to live in a small cabin (800 sq ft) with their 3 parrots (2 zons and a too'). They converted a "nook" area to an indoor aviary for them, and they lived very happily in there for 10+ years until they moved to a bigger home. Perhaps instead of an outdoor aviary, you may just want to see if there's some rearranging you can do to allow for a nice macaw-sized cage in your living room. Even if it is a small home, a parrot (even the big boys) is still a relatively small animal compared to other pets.

Most Reactions

Latest posts