Outdoor flight training

JAYE

Oct 29, 2017
Suffolk
Parrots
RIO THE B&G :)
Hello!

We recently started taking our B&G outside (we covered the back garden in a bird net and let her fly around - while being watched of course!) SHE LOVES IT. The reason we did this is because she absolutely, categorically will NOT go anywhere near a harness... not even for a second, or a treat.
Its been a few months of trying now, using various methods/guides etc and different brands of harnesses and although we won't give up... I wondered if any of you have used any other harness/leashes that you can recommend please?
I know a few people have even made their own... so just looking for advice :)

Please bare in mind that shes 'human companion' bird and even when she has the chance to go far... she really doesn't want to. I know this will probably change with age as shes still only 1.5yo :blue1: ... but I really want her to enjoy the great outdoors as much as possible :)

Many thanks

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Just the aviator (sorry) and it's work in progress here.
(all of the birds think they are toys, so throwing them all about, gnawing and jumping on them...)
The only other type I can get here is with metal clips all over: too heavy for the greys imho and not safe for a B&G.
(If the aviator fails I am willing to try the Leathers4feathers, so not have faith in the birddiapers ability to hold the flyingpower.)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Harness training can take months andmonths and frequently a year or more or gradually introducing the harness, and geeting the bird use to putting his head thru the loop. Traing every single day or nite is essential. Ellen just posted in a member thread on this topic very thorough and smart advice.

Most Reactions