outside temperature ok for african grays

rope

Feb 20, 2015
maine
Parrots
2 sun conures
i'm wondering what temperature is ok to bring your gray outside..we live in maine...our house is facing south with a front porch ....lots of sun.....the porch has a roof..our conures love it when we wheel their cages outside in the summer..they don't like to come back inside...in fact on warm nights they like to stay outside and listen to all the animals....their tough little birds and even like to go outside in the 40s and 50s as long as the wind isn't blowing and its sunny out..... i'm wondering what temperature can an african gray adjust to...or what is healthy for them....we have an 8 foot slider so theres room to bring a pretty big cage out.....thanks

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
I dont have any hard facts at all. but i do recall reading somewhere that greys could withstand, if they had to, temps ranging from 40-90 F

Granted i do not think its healthy for a grey to stay in 40 degree temps, just because they may not die instantly.

I have had it to 60 in the bird room before, and she seemed fine, but was a little poofed up so i think even 60 was cold for her. That was one night when it got very cold here. I got her a birdie warmer to use in case that ever happens again. usually keep it around 70 with 40% humidity.

Again, no facts just my thoughts!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Although greys originate from Africa, I'm pretty sure yours is acclimated to your local temps, so would be comfortable in the same temps your conures are.....you do realize that any time birds sit in direct sunlight, no matter what the ambient temps might be, you need to provide a shaded area for your birds to get out of the sun under.....Actually, your birds are more comfortable in cooler/colder temps than we humans are...they have at least three layers of feathers that they can raise & lower in individual layers, similar to laying three duvets on yourself.....

Jasper's recollection of 40-90 degree temps is probably right, but our feathered friends can comfortably handle colder temps than we can, but 90 degree temps, in dear air (not moving) can be dangerous for them.....they can handle freezing temps, because of the way their blood veins are placed & routed in their legs.....

I'd be inclined to think that the "poofed" up that Jasper noted could indicate too warm rather than too cold or not, depends on what other heat might have been near or blowing on the bird at that time, though I agree with the humidity level...40% is also comfortable for humans, as well as our homes.....

Good Luck.....

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Birds can adjust to cooler temperature that's for sure, but they need to be adjusted to it not just thrown into it. The cold draft can make them sick! Just like with you and I. We keep the house around 60-65 degrees F all year long.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Acclimation is the key. Parrots can acclimate themselves to temps ranging from the 50's to the 80's reasonably well, given a very gradual shift. A rapid change in temperature, such as a decrease from 70 degrees inside of your home to 50 without, can be something of a shock to your bird's system. This is why drafts are so dangerous for them.

Birds are known to be capable of handling even lower temps, but that requires a kind of conditioning as well. A far more gradual change. People talk about parrots that can live in icy conditions, but this requires the development of a thicker layer of down feathering to keep them more effectively insulated from the cold.

Short answer? (I know, that ship has already sailed. Lol) If you're going to let your grey outside, make sure the change is gradual and that it's not a windy day. And in my opinion, I wouldn't expose a parrot without the thicker down of deeper cold conditioning to temperatures below the 50's. Doing so isn't necessarily fatal, but it could be. Especially if your fid's system happens to be compromised at the time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts