Overgrown beak on ekkie male + seasonal plucking

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Congratulations!
Sounds like DH and my birds. They're 'my' birds and he'll take his own sweet time in talking to them, getting to know them and having them out and about. It worked a treat, they do fine :) He just needed to build his confidence.
Henry was Casper. I worked to see if there was any recognition or response to the name Casper, and there wasn't so I changed it.
Good Luck!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:jumping40 WOOT WOOT WOOT!!!

WOW, I am so happy for you!! :D

IMO you can name him anything you like. ;)

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Thanks itchy and Wendy! Itchy, you nailed him exactly. DH really is a sweet animal lover, but I know he feels a bit steamrolled on this, no matter how many times I told him he has veto power here and I'm happy to with what he decides. He will come around, but he needs to, exactly, build his confidence with an animal he never thought he would have.

You know, with this decision having been made I don't feel how I would've expected. Instead of the elation I would've thought, I feel heavy like I am taking on a significant responsibility. I'm happy to do it, but it's more solemn than celebratory. I wasn't expecting this.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Well I would say maybe you aren't feeling the way you thought and don't truly want to do it.
You might want to rethink if that's the case.
Otherwise congrats.

Laura729

Mar 6, 2015
Re: Overgrown beak on ekkie male + seasonal plucking - UPDATE

IM GETING AN ECLECTUS!!!!

DH relented - with the caveat that I don't push their relationship. "I'm not gonna want to have much to do with him for the first few weeks." I'll take it!

He will need a much better name though. Would I be doing a disservice by giving him a new name? Should I keep the name he's used to?

Congratulations!! I live in MD as well and adopted a neglected, plucked male Eclectus (Charlie) over the winter. Ekkies are wonderful!!
I changed my boy's name to something that sounds somewhat similar to his old name, but is much more fitting. Is that a possibility?
Hopefully a better diet will help with some/all of the plucking for yours. It has certainly helped with Charlie.
Can't wait to hear more! :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations! That is awesome news:) When are you bringing him home? I am so thrilled for you and can't wait to see pics one he's home:)

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I've certainly considered that, Doublete. I think it's more hat it's gone from fantasy to reality faster than I would have expected, and it was a bit overwhelming. The joy is slowly creeping in, a relief for sure!

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
Congratulations. I get that way after every bird I do or don't get. I turned down a free severe yesterday and I'm still not feeling good about it.

Good luck and you will do great.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I've certainly considered that, Doublete. I think it's more hat it's gone from fantasy to reality faster than I would have expected, and it was a bit overwhelming. The joy is slowly creeping in, a relief for sure!

Congrats on your new family member! I'm sure once he's home and settled in, you'll start really having fund:D

I felt the same way you do with Kiwi. It went from "looking for a bird" to bringing one home overnight (got email Friday, picked him up Saturday). It is overwhelming, but in a GOOD way:)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
So exciting! I can't wait to hear more!

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I think my "holy ****" moment has mostly passed, and excitement is creeping in! I'm plotting and planning with a big smile on my face :green2:

Tentative plans are to pick him up on Sunday, which would give me Saturday to buy anything I might need (tree stand, toys, etc). Taking the existing cage is mandatory. Fine by me since it's really nice,and it's huge, 6x4x2, so I need a truck. Don't own one and don't know anyone who does so I need to figure out how to get it home!

I'm hoping you could help me analyze his feather state. The attached is not him, but it's pretty dang close to his state (mine has no green at all on his chest). I'm wondering what sort of information can be gleaned based on this state, like how bad is it considered to be, anything about it speak to how permanent the damage is, does the appearance betray any nutrient deficiency, what have you. I find it interesting that it's not at all bald, but down to the down feathers all the way around. Is there anything to be made of that?

Thank you all for the support, it means a lot. I'm really getting to excited for this little man!

Last edited:
OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Tad more info, apparently he never learned to fly since he mutilated his flight feathers early on. They've since grown back but he never did learn to fly. I might work with him on that, we will see what the vet says.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Glad to hear you are more excited now!!!

I know that bird came up in my area... I have a truck and usually am off on Sundays...

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

He comes home today! I'm stoked! DH...well, he's not even going with me to pick him up. *rolleyes*

Most Reactions

Latest posts