Overly hormonal

Cassanovela

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Good evening fellow amazon flock members!

I'm having an interesting situation with my male amazon. He'd been hormonal for months now and seems to keep being so; he will do his wing fluttering / pigeon noises as if he's stimulated. But here's the thing -- I do not pet him anywhere other than feet or head, and it seems like even petting those areas will get him going and so I've stopped doing so and discourage him when he starts getting a bit hormonal again.
Suggestions?? Why is he been hormonal for this long?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Lots of things can trigger hormonal behavior. To be fair, maybe it's the never ending crappy weather where I live, but we've heard from a bunch of members that this year has been a big one for extended hormonal season. Other things, diet, mushy foods, sugars (even just from fruits) and such can cause it. Sleep cycle, not enough dark, uninterrupted sleep. Shoot for 12 hours, consistently. Access to dark nesty type places, like boxes, drawers, under the couch or cage, etc. can trigger it too.

Some folks provide a favorite toy to be the object of their "affection" and relieve some of their frustration. My previous BFA had his girlfriend, "Moppy." If we took Moppy away from him, he'd climb on my wife's shoulder and molest her hair. šŸ™„ I know some folks give them some kind of stuffed animal to have their way with. Individual results may vary. It's helpful for some, makes it worse for others.

OP
C

Cassanovela

Jul 16, 2022
Parrots
Blue fronted amazon
Ahaha, the story about Moppy is hilarious. :') He won't go in his cage-- never has. He will go in his carrier when we need to. So I'm going to install a blackout curtain tonight. As for his diet, I bought him from someone last year and he eats this... crappy sugary fruit mix. I'm going to try to switch him. Wish me luck. I'm wondering if also me letting him scrounge around in my wardrobe is effecting him too then now that you've said that. I let him come around with me through the house while I get ready, etc. He loves going in the drawers. I'll stop that too.

Thank you!!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Converting diet can be tricky. Some will take to new foods quickly. Others, not so much. Change over gradually, increasing the new stuff and phasing out the old over time. Please don't just switch. The old "he'll eat it if he gets hungry enough" idea does not apply to Parrots. The can and will starve themselves to death if they're not ready to eat the new diet.

Blackout curtains should help, but you can't get lazy and not open them. Again, regular, consistent schedule is key.

Sounds like you have an adventurous, curious guy there. Exploring is a good thing, but the drawers or any places he might consider a nest type spot is best explored when he's not so hormonal, or not at all if it's a big trigger for him.

Dancake

Mar 8, 2020
United States
Parrots
Bubby (U2)
Ugh, I feel ya here. My ā€˜zon has been overly hormonal this entire YEAR. Iā€™ve taken away every single thing I could possibly think of that could be making it worse that i could, but it has barely helped any. And heā€™s been even more extra hormonal these past two months. Something about this year is just very stimulating to amazons LOL!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA has been crazed by hormones.
Every time I let him out he regurgitateā€™s in my face and wants to mate with my hand.
He is no longer satisfied by just hanging out with me.
So far no bites.
he gets super P.Oā€™d at times but so far he has only attacked his toys.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Iā€™m sorry to hear about your hormonal Amazon. I donā€™t have any experience with amazons but I do have an Ekkie, and 2 conures. They all have their hormonal moments especially my Ekkie. Heā€™s a lover, and must provide. It can be frustrating especially if aggression starts to show. I also never touch my parrots anywhere other than the feet, or heads. Iā€™ve tried dieting changes, environmental changes. Iā€™ve honestly ran out of ideas.

There really is something in the air this year.

Most Reactions

Latest posts