Ozzie playing with paper

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
Ozzie loves paper! He would be happy to play with paper for hours! I sometimes roll paper into balls and put nuts and dried fruit in it. Ozzie is always very excited to see if there is any surprise in the paper.

He also loves natural wood clothespins, I give him about 5 a day and he will be able to chew it all up with in half an hour. But it's cheaper than a wood toy from the pet shop.

If you have any cheap, safe homemade bird toy ideas, I would love to know! :p

image_zps76d63a11.jpg

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
Ozzie is adorable! I love the sound of the Alexandrines' voices - so sweet. That's a great idea to put treats in the ball of paper. :)

I give Sweet Pea little dixie cups to chew on and toss around.

Her favorite toy though, are hacky sacks. She can't chew them up, but she loves tossing them around. She will run around on the floor tossing them up into the air, jumping up to catch them and then pouncing on them. She'll toss one to me and say "go get it!" and I toss it back to her... the game will go on forever. :red1: I don't put these in her cage though, because I wouldn't want a toenail to get stuck in them. She just plays with them outside of the cage when she's out and about with me.

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Thanks, good idea with the tossing game!

Alexandrine have very loud screams, I hate it when Ozzie sceams! My window will starts to shake. :D But I like it when they talk. :)

Ozzie hasn't learnt to talk yet, but he makes all this weird sound that is very cute.

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Wow, those are some mighty screams to make your windows shake... hopefully when Ozzie starts talking more, there will be less screams, huh!

How old is Ozzie?

I'm lucky that Sweet Pea never screams or screaches. I got her from a breeder when she was just 6 weeks old. And we don't have any other birds. So she only heard us talk from the beginning. She started talking at 3 months old. She imitates all kinds of sounds. We never knew how often we clear our throat, cough, burp, etc... until she started doing it too... she never misses a thing. If she wants to get our attention, she just says Hi in a loud voice. Once we acknowledge her, she shouts "come here!! come here!!"

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
oxy loves straws. ill link them together in loops and stuff as foot toys, tie heaps together so that they stick out here there and every where and i also made him an octopus. i put 8 straws through the sharperner so they were like springs and then attatched them to a papper muffin case. he loves pulling on that. i have also shredded some tissue papper and stuck it in holes i punched in half a wrapping paper tube. he will hang on the side of his cage pulling the paper out. he has pretty much destroyed all of them so when i make new ones ill send you pics. if you find my post "oxy's first chritmas" you will see the christmas tree i made for his cage. another thing i did for the tree is wrapped up a few small boxes and made bon bons. some were empty and some had some seed in them. he loved destroying them. good luck and if you come up with any ideas let me know. oxy has really come out of his shell the last few days and is more adventures and willing to try new things

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Wow, those are some mighty screams to make your windows shake... hopefully when Ozzie starts talking more, there will be less screams, huh!

How old is Ozzie?

I'm lucky that Sweet Pea never screams or screaches. I got her from a breeder when she was just 6 weeks old. And we don't have any other birds. So she only heard us talk from the beginning. She started talking at 3 months old. She imitates all kinds of sounds. We never knew how often we clear our throat, cough, burp, etc... until she started doing it too... she never misses a thing. If she wants to get our attention, she just says Hi in a loud voice. Once we acknowledge her, she shouts "come here!! come here!!"

Ozzie is 16 week, I got him when he is 10 week from a pet shop. My parents always tell me that Ozzie's sceam is louder than the cockatoos around me house, which is some times true!

I remembered once, when he was about 13 week, Ozzie was screaming so loud that we actually had to cover our ears!

Luckily our neighbors wasn't home!!! :D

OP
LoveMyParrots

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
oxy loves straws. ill link them together in loops and stuff as foot toys, tie heaps together so that they stick out here there and every where and i also made him an octopus. i put 8 straws through the sharperner so they were like springs and then attatched them to a papper muffin case. he loves pulling on that. i have also shredded some tissue papper and stuck it in holes i punched in half a wrapping paper tube. he will hang on the side of his cage pulling the paper out. he has pretty much destroyed all of them so when i make new ones ill send you pics. if you find my post "oxy's first chritmas" you will see the christmas tree i made for his cage. another thing i did for the tree is wrapped up a few small boxes and made bon bons. some were empty and some had some seed in them. he loved destroying them. good luck and if you come up with any ideas let me know. oxy has really come out of his shell the last few days and is more adventures and willing to try new things

Thanks for all the great idea! Wow, you made a Christmas tree for Oxy?! Sounds so cool! I'll go check it out! :p thanks again

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
lol, it still up, i put alot of work into it and he hasnt completly destroyed it yet. so untill he does it can stay. it's no longer on the bittom of his cage like it was on the pic, its up above his food dish.

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
new toy i made for oxy today after he was attacking my drink bottle. some colored water with a plasic peg in a little bottle

Last edited:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Awwwwwwww Ozzie is so cute hehe :)

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots

How old is Ozzie?

Ozzie is 16 week, I got him when he is 10 week from a pet shop. My parents always tell me that Ozzie's sceam is louder than the cockatoos around me house, which is some times true!

I remembered once, when he was about 13 week, Ozzie was screaming so loud that we actually had to cover our ears!

Luckily our neighbors wasn't home!!! :D
Ozzie is a young one... how cute he is. That sounds like a mighty loud scream that Ozzie has... hope he learns to scream less as he gets older and talks more. Some people say that if you talk softly to the bird, it encourages them to vocalize quietly.

Sweet Pea knows what the "shoosh" sound means and when we make that sound with her, she gets even louder. And then sometimes when we speak to her, she makes the shoosh sound to us!

Most Reactions

Latest posts