painful biting!

Nikpendar

Sep 28, 2012
I've a 4 months indian ringneck that its name is "NiKi", I think he is male.
NiKi is handrising parrot and his nutrition is excellent.
He is free sometimes & other times he is in his cage.
I put some toys in the cage for him and he love those.

But resently he biting so hard and he injured my hands. I realy kind with him, give him all of healthy food, speak with him all the time but he is crazy and his painful bites bother me.

Please help me that he change and forget his biting and being nice parrot.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Oh boy, biting! The most challenging part of being a parront IMO. They don't equate "being kind and providing a good life" to 'I shouldn't bite this person' I'm afraid :( I learned that through hard experience. They DO however respond to love and understanding and patience.

I don't have any experience with IRN's and I've only had my own 'biter" ;) for about nine months but I've learned that there are 3 main reasons they bite :

- To tell you something you didn't pick up in their body language like "I don't want to picked up right now/i am afraid or stressed/i don't like this person/i am in a bad mood/I am too excited and don't realise. How hard I'm biting"

- Displacement biting : they are angry/afraid of something or someone else but can't get to that thing or person to bite them so they bite you because you're closer.

- And....for no reason other than to enjoy the reaction! My amazon, Percy, does this a lot in my opinion. He bites because he gets a dramatic reaction. We try not to react too loudly or wildly but when your hand is ripped open and dripping blood, it is difficult! ;)

I would suggest you give him some space and try to figure out what is causing him to bite. Most of the time, they do give warnings and it is up to us humans to learn the signs.

Good luck!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I found with my Alexandrines that forcing them to do something they don't want to do will result in a bite. After the bite, they're poised and ready to bite again, so I need to be extra careful what I ask of them. A common problem is forcing the bird to step up, step up and step up again. He gets sick of it and will eventually bite you to make you stop. Another is putting the bird down in a place where he doesn't really want to be. Or taking your bird to a place where something is scary for him. I've been bitten under all these circumstances (never noticed the causes at the time, but worked it out later). You have to be really sensitive to a bird that's biting - oftentimes the reasons aren't apparent, but if you study him, you'll work it out. Remember: a bird is very small compared to you and even the most settled bird can still take fright!

ewalton54

Mar 25, 2014
Simi Valley, California
Parrots
I have a male 7 year old Indian Ringneck parrot. His name is Agape and he talks and is very smart. My son taught him to talk on a cellphone and he figured out how to use his metal bell upside down and
My little mean birdie as i nicknamed him bites me when he is woken up suddenly, or mad because he hasnt been taken out of his cage to play in a while. Whats funny is he knows he has been bad, because immediately after biting, he will soften up his body language and try to make up to me, but doing his little dancing routine and talking in his cute little baby bird voice. Hes 7 so he will always be this way. I have learned his body language so I can tell when hes going to bite. His head will lower, his eyes go to slits and if hes really mad he will make a buzzing noise.He often nips as he is moving onto my hand so i just cover my hand with a cloth.If he gets to come out and play or even go for rides in his cage in the car, he doesnt bite and is really tame, letting me rub his head and behind his neck especially. Always be prepared for them biting so you can protect yourself. The more attention they get, the less this will happen.

Most Reactions