Pak-o-Bird size?

Eyeluvpez

Oct 25, 2017
Hello,

I’m seriously considering purchasing a Pak-o-Bird for my Green Cheek Conure. What size would you suggest?

Their site suggests small, but I will be regularly traveling in the summer months once a week, two hours one way. Is the “bigger the better” thought the same for travel carriers as it is for cages? Or will the small size make my bird feel more secure? I’m wondering if medium will be too much or bulky. It’s an investment so I want to make sure I get it right.

Any tips or advise would be great. :)

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
Medium is very big and in my opinion too big to use as a backpack if you don't need it that large. I went to the Celltei site and got the dimensions and made a medium and a small mock up out of cardboard and was glad I did, the medium would be way too big for me.

Here's a pic of my Hawk Head on her small Pak-O-Bird for a size reference.

DSC_5043.JPG

And one of Nike for size reference.

nike7-19-16.jpg

syakti

Dec 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Hydutt (GCC - 4.5 years old) and Hero (Budgie - 3 years old)
Medium is very big and in my opinion too big to use as a backpack if you don't need it that large. I went to the Celltei site and got the dimensions and made a medium and a small mock up out of cardboard and was glad I did, the medium would be way too big for me.

Here's a pic of my Hawk Head on her small Pak-O-Bird for a size reference.

DSC_5043.JPG

And one of Nike for size reference.

nike7-19-16.jpg

Completely out of topic... but.. does that guy have blue and red feathers on his head? OMG!! He is extremely cool!!! [emoji44] he is cooler than 98.92% of world's population [emoji7][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Thanks, and yes, she is cool! But don't go to kiss her beak when her feathers are up ;)

nike2-6-16-2b.JPG

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Why not get in touch with Celtei, we imported ours and via email they were very helpful. You could easily pick up the phone and talk to them, if you still wanted time to think about it I am sure that would be Ok too.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
I got my Pak o Bird this week, in size small. Berry is around the same size as a green cheek conure, so this may give you an indication of its size. From what I understand the medium is substantially larger than the small.
ce6f650bc822035ae556f543b876fcb1.jpg

Personally I think it is a good size for any kind of travel with small/medium birds like cockatiels and conures.

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Reeb, I see you have paper down. In case you don't know the plastic bottom comes right out and can be washed in the sink. Be careful with very hot water because the plastic get's soft so if it does that, just lay it flat till it cools.

I'm about to order their fleece cover.

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Reeb, I see you have paper down. In case you don't know the plastic bottom comes right out and can be washed in the sink. Be careful with very hot water because the plastic get's soft so if it does that, just lay it flat till it cools.

I'm about to order their fleece cover.

It’s just temporary as the plastic needed a wash! About to put in back in now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Celltei now sells a rope grab bar too. I made one out of aluminum and sent them the idea...they ran with it and used rope...I should get a cut ;)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I have a medium because I have an amazon and he's a big boy but if you can get away with a small, I'd go for a small. The medium is as wide/long as and actually thicker than my torso! It isn't heavy at all but it's like walking around with a camping pack on size wise- i.e. HUGE.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Celltei now sells a rope grab bar too. I made one out of aluminum and sent them the idea...they ran with it and used rope...I should get a cut ;)

I had the same thought too after the first few drives with Kiwi. I used a plastic drawer pull for a 'hang on' spot. Installed on one side where the dish was suppose to go (we rarely use the dishes).

OP
E

Eyeluvpez

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you all for your advise. Those pictures have helped me gain some perspective. I definitely think small would be perfect. Im pretty excited to get one. ��

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
I think you’ll be happy with a small. I have a medium and two medium birdie go-gos from celltei. I actually prefer the medium go-gos because my POB is just a bit too cumbersome and large for my liking.

Most Reactions