panama or yellow naped?

amazon24

Sep 5, 2012
ok, so the guy that i bought the bird from said she was a yellow naped and it was 7-10 years old, but it looks alot more like a panama, but just around an hour ago i have started to notice yellow feathers starting to grow on her neck.. so is she younger than the advised age and just starting to grow her neck feathers? and also, yellow naped amazons have black beaks, she has a black/horn-colored beak? im very confused, the owner didnt have the best info on the bird, so im guessing he got it 2nd hand..HELP!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_1798.jpg
    IMG_1798.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_1797.jpg
    IMG_1797.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Yes, post a pic and we should be able to tell you :)

Here is how to post them...

When you are creating your post, go into attachments, click on upload from Computer, then browse.. click on the pic you want to show, then click on upload.... or if you have photobucket just hover mouse over the image then left click on IMG and it will say copied, then just paste into your message box, go onto preview post and it will show if it has gone in properly:)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Have you seen how "bone " colored the beak and feet are on a DYH? Panamas are the same. YNA don't have a b;ack beak like a BFA does. YNA are more grey ,feet, cere and beak with dark toward tip and sometimes a peach colored patch near the base. Yellow feathers mean very little when IDing Zons, they can turn that way from a injury or poor diet, not to mention zons "grey" that way as they age.Not that it is a good way to ID zons but how much does he weigh?A large panama will weigh 100 grams less than a small Yellow nape.Some of my male napes out weigh my hen pans by 300 or more grams. If it is healthy and weighs 400 grams it might be a Pan but if it weighs 500 grams i doubt it a pan. And we haven't even considered hybrids. Get good pics with good light, beak ,cere, and feet.

Last edited:
OP
A

amazon24

Sep 5, 2012
what exactly do you mean by they "grey" in age? and i posted some better photos to give you a better guess on the species..

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Hybrid.

It's not abnormal for some yellow napes to have yellow to the fore-crown, however, that beak coloring *is* abnormal.

Could be a hybrid of both, or who knows what!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
what exactly do you mean by they "grey" in age? and i posted some better photos to give you a better guess on the species..
Zons get more Yellow feathers as they age, they lose the blue clor in their feathers that makes them green, resulting in yellow feathers. Like we turn grey they turn yellow on head and nape.

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
Oh, you brought back memories - it was almost a year to the day that I asked, "Name that species!" because the amazon I'd just gotten that was advertised as a yellow naped, was probably a Panama or a Yellow Crown (or a hybrid).

He is either a Yellow Crowned or a hybrid, I now know by comparing him to the Panama who came to live with us in January. BUT I only know by the information on the below thread & by looking at them side-by-side:

http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/11750-name-species-pictures.html

Anyhow, one of the things I've learned is those yellow feathers really can crop up where you don't expect them. Best of luck, figuring it out!

jennifer

Oct 6, 2012
Bloomingdale, IL
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon (24 y/o)
I have a Yellow-Naped and they look nothing alike. I'd say Panama or Hybrid.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 291
  • micah 09.jpg
    micah 09.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 287
  • micah 099.jpg
    micah 099.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 178
OP
A

amazon24

Sep 5, 2012
How old is your amazon? Cuz I read that young yellow naped have little on the neck, and a lot on the crown(displayed on mine)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
How old is your amazon? Cuz I read that young yellow naped have little on the neck, and a lot on the crown(displayed on mine)
No ,not really. YNA don't usually have much yellow in their crown when young,many don;t have much yellow at all when young. I have some who didn't get more than one or two yellow feathers until well into their teens.There are several different subspecies of YNAs who differ in size and color. I really need better pics to ID your bird who might be a hybrid. Yellow crowns at an early age are more often found in DYH,Pan,YSA,and YCA.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
I'm no expert on panamas but I do have several napes. I'm going to vote that your bird is either a panama with an abnormal yellow feather or its a panama X nape hybrid. Your bird's beak just isn't right for a yellow nape and the pattern of yellow isn't quite right for a nape either.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I do have a breeder hen Panama who has had her nape plucked when breeding with her mate ( who is pretty large Pan). Her feathers often come back in yellow. She might look similar to that bird but she has all the classic Panama traits; Bone color beak,feet and cere. The bird pictured appears more hybrid IMO, but really need better pics.

Most Reactions