Parakeet and Sun Conure :(

Superxdude

Jul 31, 2013
South Korea
Parrots
Chopper - Sun Conure
Funny thing, we have a parakeet who loves our Sun named Chopper, but Chopper hates the parakeet (Boobers). The guy down the street who is our local breeder warned us about his green cheek...Chopper chased him up and down his shoulder! However, his Sun put Chopper in his place really quick.

I don't know if Chopper and Boobers will ever get along. There are some jealousy issues with Chopper. I'll be sitting at the computer with Chopper on my shoulder and Boobers, who is fully flighted, will land on my head. Chopper, since he can't get up and rip Boobers to pieces, will choose the closest target, which is usually my ear.

Any ideas on how to get them (meaning Chopper) to play nice?

songlake

Mar 25, 2014
Florida
Parrots
2 moustached parakeets, 2 Sun conures, 20 cockatiels, 11 English budgies
Skipper does the same thing to all my fids except Chili who he's bonded with. He will go half way across the room the chase the cockatiels :( They used to all get along but Skipper went all raging bull on them when he and Chili got real close.

Parakeets are some aggressive little things for their size :) But the big birds could hurt them badly if they manage to get hold of the parakeet. I doubt there is much you can do to make them get along, the best that will happen is if they ignore each other but Sun's seem very jealous birds to me. Chili screams and will fly across to us if we have one of the other birds on our shoulder and then she will try to chase them away. I'm guessing that's just the nature of the Sun.

Selestine

Jun 18, 2013
Glendale, AZ
Parrots
My beautiful SI Eclectus Zephyr and my handsome B&G macaw Vandal, daughter's Sun Conure Loki and son's GCC Blaze
That seems to be my experience with our sun, too. He thinks he is bigger than my Eclectus (who is desperate to be friends) and keeps trying to charge him to bite his feet.

We are having some small success by putting them near each other with a lot of toys around -- then one person plays with the sun and the other with the ekkie. After they really get interested in the toys we back off and keep an eye on them. They are slowly starting to be able to play nearer and nearer to each other.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I find that birds either click and get along, or just down right dislike each other from the get go. Kind of like when we meet new people - but that's not to say the relationship can't improve. My ringneck and GCC tolerate each other's presence, or rather my conure adores my ringneck and my ringneck hates her. It's unfortunate :(

But they play by each other and I can have them out together if supervised. Generally I don't have an issue until jealousy over a person or a you strikes. But if you eventually get them used to each other, start station training them, and just occupy them while they're near each other, the flock dynamic night change and they may tolerate each other without feeling the need to strike.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I dunno about sun conures, but my green cheek wants to bite the budgies occasionally (I say 'wants' because I've never seen him actually bite them). He was pretty aggressive towards them when I got them, but I made it very clear for my gcc from very beginning that fighting or biting is absolutely not allowed. He's a smart bird and learned that very quickly. But he by no means 'hates' them - he just gets a bit annoyed when they keep riding on his tail or trying to walk over his back. LOL :D Why won't you try to train your sun not to attack the budgie? I thing he could learn that easily.

OP
S

Superxdude

Jul 31, 2013
South Korea
Parrots
Chopper - Sun Conure
i try to socialize them...food is a great tool. I walk over to the cages with abowl of cereal and BOTH want to have some. That's about the only time they are quiet as well since their beaks are occupied.

Most Reactions

Latest posts