Parakeet food?

OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots
None yet :(.
They need time. Always--- think of this as a very slow motion process when compared to dogs or cats. They are super scared right now.
NEVER feed wild bird seed. It is not safe for non-wild birds, and honestly, seed in general should be monitored closely, as it can be harmful for some species.

Okay! I really just wanted to make sure that my birds not flying around the cage wasn't a health problem.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It's not a health problem, but you should give them some space. Glad you have food for them!!! Sorry!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
How is it going today? I am assuming you got 2 that were already bonded?

If not, they may or may not get along, so be wary.

Do you know their sexes? 2 females tend to get along worse than 2 males or a male and a female (but male and female can lead to egg laying and egg binding, so it's not necessarily ideal either)

What cage did you end up getting?

OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots
How is it going today? I am assuming you got 2 that were already bonded?

If not, they may or may not get along, so be wary.

Do you know their sexes? 2 females tend to get along worse than 2 males or a male and a female (but male and female can lead to egg laying and egg binding, so it's not necessarily ideal either)

What cage did you end up getting?

It's going better, they started eating a lot, I have been mixing in seeds with pellets. I forgot to ask their sexes but one has some blue cheeks. They were already bonded and they seem to be getting along great!

The only problem is that they are still only staying at the bottom of the cage and won't land or fly to any perches/ play with any toys. I even had to put the food bowl/waterbowl on the ground because they wouldn't fly up to it.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Are they scared of something?

When you say they are at the bottom, that could be a foraging behavior but it could also be a sign of sick birds.

Were they perching okay when you first got them?

OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots

When you say they are at the bottom, that could be a foraging behavior but it could also be a sign of sick birds.

When I first got them they were in a decently small cage, and when the guy stuck his hand in the cage to get the 2 I wanted, all the Budgies flew from the perches to the bottom of the cage.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

When I first got them they were in a decently small cage, and when the guy stuck his hand in the cage to get the 2 I wanted, all the Budgies flew from the perches to the bottom of the cage.

are the perches the right size for them? I wonder if they ever had the opportunity to perch where they were.

OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots

are the perches the right size for them? I wonder if they ever had the opportunity to perch where they were.

It looked like it. I thought I read somewhere that it might just be because the Budgies are scared of the perches or are just checking their surrroundings. When I first got them yesterday, they started climbing all over the cage even the top of it, but never flew anhywhere. One time one Budgie flew a little bit from the top to the bottom, but only in a crazy motion.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
if you have a really specific question, I'd make a new post with that as the title. That way, more people may check it

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree, im having trouble following what the issues and questions are.

Try to cover just the back of the cage or have against a wall, so they feel safer.
My budgies perch on large perches and love them.. they Do fine on all sizes, at least mine do

Congratulations on your new bird's.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Try to cover just the back of the cage or have against a wall, so they feel safer.
My budgies perch on large perches and love them.. they Do fine on all sizes, at least mine do

I was just trying to think why they might not be perching--- if they had super skinny perches or super wide ones that looked very different at their last home... or no opportunity in a cramped cage etc.

Are their wings clipped?

How big is the cage?

OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots

I was just trying to think why they might not be perching--- if they had super skinny perches or super wide ones that looked very different at their last home... or no opportunity in a cramped cage etc.

Are their wings clipped?

How big is the cage?

I don't know how to tell if their wings are clipped except that when they don't fly well, they both went in a crazy flight down to the bottom. Their cage was pretty cramped and had mainly a big ladder rather than individual perches. The cage I have is this one. I just had a look at my 2 Budgies and it looks like the wings are clipped. What will this do to my Budgies?

Link- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079JW8YCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
how old are they? You could call and find out when they were first clipped. It's best for the bird if they can fly proficiently before getting clipped.

OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots
how old are they? You could call and find out when they were first clipped. It's best for the bird if they can fly proficiently before getting clipped.

I don't know exactly except they still have bars/lines on the top of their head.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
OP
B

Blazer

Dec 30, 2020
Flower Mound
Parrots

Today I got my blue Parakeet to "step up" on my finger and I started moving him to a perch, he flew off just before I got him to the perch. Improvement!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
That is a good sign --just be cautious about scaring them. You need to take it really slow because even though what you are saying is great, the fact that he flew means he wasn't ready. So, congrats (because that's awesome) but also, make sure you move at their pace. If they seem hesitant or nervous, don't push-remember, you want to be associated with positives. I am not saying this was negative either, but just reminding you lol!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts