parakeet questions

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots
JJ-sun conure hatched roughly 1/16/2012

Cinderella-white and blue female budgie hatched 4/08/12

Rigby-white and blue male budgie hatched 5/05/2012
So we are fairly certain we will be getting a parakeet but I need to know a little about them.

How much time do they need out of their cage. JJ is out almost all day will I have to cage her while the parakeet is out? I mean would an hour a day, split up between 2-3 times a day be enough for the new bird?

Also do they need all pellets, or all seeds or a mix? I have heard different opinions on this matter.

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
That sounds enough for a budgie about 3-4 hours are good mine stays out all day unless i leave for class but i don't have any other birds if they become friends they both can be out together but you have to be carefull you don't want no missing toes and such D=. and i feed my budgie a mix of seed and pellets. and like any other parrot they need veggies and herbs they don't really eat fruits some will eat apples but not the core!

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

well it might not be 3-4 I was thinking 1-2, JJ takes cage breaks during the day and I was thinking while I had JJ in her cage I could bring the keet out to play. I don't think I would let them interact together though, I would be continously nervous of the "what if's".

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
If you only have 1-2 hours for the parakeet then you probably shouldn't get one.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

If you only have 1-2 hours for the parakeet then you probably shouldn't get one.

I have all day to spend with the parakeet but I have to learn to balance time between 2 birds instead of one. If the bird couldn't be tamed than I shouldn't have it because I couldn't allow it out of the large cage I would provide for it?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Parakeets are very easy to tame, I know of a guy who tamed his in two days. So taming shouldn't be an issue. A large cage is great but it's not the same as playing with him/her and spending one on one time for 3-4 hours.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
IMO , one hour is plenty of time to spend with a parakeet. If you have more time , that's great. If you can break up the hour into small increments for training , that would be much more beneficial them spending three to four hours with one.

OP
jewels04

jewels04

Feb 4, 2012
Parrots

IMO , one hour is plenty of time to spend with a parakeet. If you have more time , that's great. If you can break up the hour into small increments for training , that would be much more beneficial them spending three to four hours with one.

that is what I was planning. JJ spends time in her cage during the day so I figured while JJ wanted her cage time I could spend time with the parakeet. Somedays JJ wants more cage time than others so the amount of time the parakeet gets out of their cage would be different. But minimum 2 hours a day would be what I am looking at I think, probably more than that. And ofcourse it would be my children's bird so they will want to spend time with the bird as well so the bird will get more time out once the kids get home from school.

Most Reactions