Parker on vacation

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Or something like it. I'm in Europe for vacation and had to take Parker-doodle to the avian store for boarding. Feeling pretty, as my friend would say, s***y kitty about it with lots of guilt since the cages are relatively small (1.5' all around) and he's not getting personalized attention (they are bird breeders plus a gigantic store and maybe 10 other boarders, he's not getting out of that cage), but I didn't really have a choice since I have not way of keeping home with anyone else (his only cage is a monstrous 6' tall thing). I'm hoping I don't come back to a plucked mess :(. They are good people and will take care of him but he's gonna be attention starved.

Anyways, I snapped this picture of us on the way to the boarding place. This is the most attitude and personality I've ever been able to capture in a photo, I kinda like it :)

Last edited:

friendcaique

Oct 18, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Hoping for a Budgie!
well i hope he stays happy. Do the boarding cages have toys, like foraging toys to keep him occupied for a little bit? again i hope he will be okay!
:)

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I has to provide toys, so. I brought a few. I did give him his coconut foraging toy, but it's dependent on the owners using it. I think they might use it once or twice. And I don't mean that on my previous post to make them sound negligent. They are not at all. But they are incredibly busy, and handling a stranger's bird may not always be the best idea. Much of this is supposition on my part. I just know I've never seen them handle any birds in there, and I've never seen any of those birds out of the cage.

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Chris,

Best of luck, hopefully Parker will be fine, at least he has some familiar toys and sounds like there will be activity going on around him.

That picture is great, he looks very confident in the car!

Cheers,

Cameron

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Enjoy your vacation, Chris! Yes, hopefully the familiar toys will help him cope with his temporary lodgings.

How long will you be gone?

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I left Saturday and won't be back for another week! In line as I type to go into the Anne frank house :)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Stay positive, I know it's hard but Parker is a tough nut, he'll survive and he'll love you more when you get home. See two positive points. Please enjoy your vacation. Did you tell the sitter to give him pomegranate? That will keep him busy for maybe two minutes, lol!

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
That is some serious Parker-tude!

It is hard not to feel guilty when you go away no matter who watches your bird. I have bird sitters come to our house twice a day for 30 mins. I still feel guilty.

Enjoy your vacation!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Enjoy every minute of your vacation, Chris! Our birds are very resilient, Parker is not likely to stress over the boarding nearly as much as you are. I bet your handsome boy well be delighted to see you and quick to forgive.

Love the photo!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Just had to mention, it's amazing how beautifully Parker has feathered in under your care, Chris. Most impressive.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks everyone, I'm having a blast! Keep thinking about my parkerito though, miss that little dinosaur! Guilt has subsided some but I still feel like I left him in prison.

Maybe London will make me feel better

Last edited:

friendcaique

Oct 18, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Hoping for a Budgie!
hope you enjoy london and also i think parker is all like "he doesn't think i can handle it, well i will show him!"lol:):):) parker will be fine and also enjoy the vacation.:):)

Most Reactions

Latest posts