Parront's Worst Nightmare

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Con, my fully flighted Jenday, escaped on Wednesday. She had tried landing on my shoulder as I turned to close the front door and zoomed right outside. She landed in our neighbor's huge tree and seemed confused as to where she was while I freaked out underneath. We've been doing some flight training but she was too scared to listen when I called. Four hours later, she had moved to a 70 foot cotton wood two cabins down just as the sun was setting. I couldn't do anymore; I had to go in for the night.

Barker and I cuddled while we listened to a storm head out way. The wind picked up and the temperature fell. Barker wouldn't go to the bed in the cathouse her and Con use at night until I put her there myself and even then she kept her head poked out making little questioning noises. It broke my heart that her "sister", my little girl, was gone. I set my alarm for 6:30 and called into work. There was no way I could just give up on her.

The next morning, I was up at 5 waiting for the sun to take it's time coming up and finally it was 6:30. I went out front and called for her but got nothing. She had probably gotten blown away by the wind from last night but thankfully it hadn't rained. I went inside to wake Barker and cuddle with her on the couch thinking maybe it was still too early for her to be awake; none of the native birds were really up yet.

That's when I heard the first scream. Barker heard it too and called back as I set her on their cage before rushing outside. As soon as I hit the grass, Con let loose with her squawks demanding to know why I hadn't come to pick her up yet (cause apparently I'm magical and can climb 70 foot trees) and why she had to spend the night with all the other noisy birds without her sister. I called once and held my hand out. I could see her yellow head pacing back and forth in the sea of green before she launched herself and flew across the rooftops to land in the tree above me. A few minutes of monkey-ing her way down, she hung upside down on the end of a spindly branch then fluttered to my hand. Ignoring the food in my other hand, she cuddled under my chin as we went inside.

I sobbed into her back while she preened my hair and Barker hurried over in her odd way to welcome her sister and give her a good talking to (Barker had been so worried that she hadn't gotten a good night's sleep). We promptly cuddled in their favorite blue hoodie and while I made a vet appointment, the girls fell fast asleep on my hand, Barker with her face tucked into Con's neck.

Con now has a very light clip that she will keep until I have my own home and aviary for her to fly in. I have no wish to repeat her adventures again and have a suspicion that she doesn't want to either (it was cold, Mom!).

I know it is my fault that it happened in the first place letting her be flighted but in a way I believe that it helped her. If Con hadn't had the experience and trusted her wings, I doubt she would have taken the dive from the top of the cottonwood. I would also like to think it was her missing me so much that brought her screaming back and not the food in my hand but I'll never know :rolleyes:. I'm just glad to have my Pumpkin Head back safe and sound even if she is a little irritated with her clip.

Lovelyloribeth

Jul 15, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
💙ChiChi~GCC~2 yrs.💙
💚Red~IRN~4 mos.💚

💛Houdini~Sun Conure~2 yrs.💛
I would have had a heart attack!! Good thinking on the clip tho. I'm too scared to let mine be fully flighted.

I'm sooooo happy she came back to you. I think it was you she came back for and not the food. She was happy to see you by the sounds of it. I was crying as I read that but they turned to happy tears by the end. I'm glad she's home safe and sound. Also, that your nightmare is over!

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
i am so glad she is back home! i was worried this was not a happy ending!

gretta

Aug 13, 2012
Kentucky
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thank you for sharing, this is a great reminder that no matter how good our intentions are, we sometimes have to face the unexpected. I love my guys and cannot imagine your heartache. Thankfully there's a happy ending!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Sheesh ! I was praying for a good outcome !!!
I could hardly finish reading the post , it's like pins an needles to get to the end.
I had to kick start my heart again!!! I stopped breathing less then half way through the story !!

I'm so happy for you both this ended well.
But look folks , for Pete's sake , just get to the point and say that they are back home !!
I cant take the suspense ,lololol.

:eek::eek::(:54:;)

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
I am so glad she got home safely! Sounds as if both of you kept your heads on straight.

OP
Helitorian

Helitorian

Dec 15, 2011
Nebraska
Parrots
RIP Constantine: Jenday Conure
Sorry it was such a long post, but the writer in me had to keep you guys hanging :p I knew as soon as she came home I had to tell you guys about it because I know how rare it is for a parrot to do what Con did. I'm so thankful she was smart enough to stick around and I've really reevaluated our bond since she's returned. I savor every moment I have with them both and she seems to be doing the same but that might just be the clip.

It's really interesting to see how a bird's personality changes with a wing clip. Con was never a mean bird but she's unbelievably headstrong and the freedom of being fully flighted really let her be a terror. I don't help much because I work 50 hours a week to save up for my own home which doesn't leave more than a few hours each afternoon for us. So for now, she'll have a very light clip. She can still get around very well but none of her old zoom-around-the-room-at-Mach-One-then-cuff-mom-on-the-head. She's gotta work harder :)

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm just glad she's home safe and sound :)

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
I know exactly how you feel the same happened with our green cheek....except it was my husband going out the door and Forrest missed his landing on his shoulder. Took us about 40 minutes to get him down from a huge elm tree. We were also thankful and YES he got a clip as soon as we walked in the door. He still flies great though. I THink I would have to take his wings off to make him unable to fly. LOL
Glad you had a happy ending.

Most Reactions

Latest posts