Parrot behaving different, what cage is best, any help?

Adamw1109

Sep 26, 2016
Hi everyone, as some know i got myself a beautiful little indian ringneck just over a week ago.

When i got her she was really quiet and scared, would usually sit on her perch all day and not even move (only to eat or drink).

she has started moving around move as the days have gone by and she will even eat out of my hand now which she wouldn't before! YAY!

But today, i woke up and for the past hour or so she has been constantly moving around the cage climbing around it biting the cage as if she is trying to escape and every now and then she will climb to the bottom of the cage and walk along the bottom for about 30 seconds roughly, im going to call up to get her a full overall check and make sure she is fine and everything is how should be..... are these signs that anyone else has witnessed? if so, is there a problem?

I have been constantly talking to her and she does calm down but literally the second i stop speaking she starts going mad again.

ALSO

My partner who is really scared of anything that has wings! has purchased molly a lovely new home, the only problem is it seems a little too big (compared to her cage she is in now)

The dimensions are as follows:-

The cage i got her in -> Height = 90cm, Width = 45cm, Depth 34cm, Gap between bars = 1/2 inch

The new cage -> Height = 123cm, Width = 90cm, Depth = 60cm, Gap between bars = 1 inch

The problem i have atm is the cage i got her in is way too small in my eyes as i know she needs room to spread wings and for her tail etc

But the newer cage, one isssue is the size... is it too big for an indian ringneck and the other issue is the gap between the bars, are they too wide for her to end up trying to squeeze out and getting stuck?

I just don't want to put her in it if its a risk and means changing her home more than i have to

Any advice/help is highly appreciated.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Hi everyone, as some know i got myself a beautiful little indian ringneck just over a week ago.

When i got her she was really quiet and scared, would usually sit on her perch all day and not even move (only to eat or drink).

she has started moving around move as the days have gone by and she will even eat out of my hand now which she wouldn't before! YAY!

But today, i woke up and for the past hour or so she has been constantly moving around the cage climbing around it biting the cage as if she is trying to escape and every now and then she will climb to the bottom of the cage and walk along the bottom for about 30 seconds roughly, im going to call up to get her a full overall check and make sure she is fine and everything is how should be..... are these signs that anyone else has witnessed? if so, is there a problem?

I have been constantly talking to her and she does calm down but literally the second i stop speaking she starts going mad again.

ALSO

My partner who is really scared of anything that has wings! has purchased molly a lovely new home, the only problem is it seems a little too big (compared to her cage she is in now)

The dimensions are as follows:-

The cage i got her in -> Height = 90cm, Width = 45cm, Depth 34cm, Gap between bars = 1/2 inch

The new cage -> Height = 123cm, Width = 90cm, Depth = 60cm, Gap between bars = 1 inch

The problem i have atm is the cage i got her in is way too small in my eyes as i know she needs room to spread wings and for her tail etc

But the newer cage, one isssue is the size... is it too big for an indian ringneck and the other issue is the gap between the bars, are they too wide for her to end up trying to squeeze out and getting stuck?

I just don't want to put her in it if its a risk and means changing her home more than i have to

Any advice/help is highly appreciated.

First, the lager size cage is great. No cage is too big for a Parrot. That said, the bar spacing is likely too large for your parrot. A quick check is to make a measurement across the face of your parrot, approximately center of eye to center of eye. This does not have to be precise. The resulting measurement is the maximum bar spacing for your Parrot.

I would only be guessing at the behavior of your parrot. So, that part of your question will be left to a member that is far more experienced with your species.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi. It is always a good idea to have the biggest cage you can afford, no such thing as a too big cage. Bar spacing is a different story. 1" sound a little wide for a IRN, but other owners can chime in here. But the physical cage - bigger is better.

OP
A

Adamw1109

Sep 26, 2016
Thanks for the responses, really do appreciate it.

In terms of cages... that was my thought about bigger is better kind of thing but unfortunately my partner wasn't aware of the issue with having a big gap between the bars, its a shame really as its a beautiful cage but im going to not risk it and get a different one that i would feel more comfortable in. (The other half understands now ive explained it to her so she don't want to kill me now, must be a bonus?! haha)

Her behavior though, pretty scary for a first timer owning a ringneck! Since a young age we have had all sorts of birds in the family but due to only being around them a short amount of time each week its different when you own your own that's for sure! But after a bit of research i think she may be going through the 'bluffing' stage, fingers crossed she calms down sooner rather than later. Just happy its that and not because there is something wrong with her :)

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
I really wish they would make some larger cages with smaller bar spacing. I went ahead and went for the absolute largest bar spacing I felt would still be safe for my RB2 so that I could get a bigger cage, but I would never have kept my conure or Quaker in the same cage, and IRNs are closer in size to those guys than to the much more, erm, "stout and sturdy" (aka wide) RB2s. I am still a little paranoid about the bar spacing on the cage I bought even for my medium sized parrot, being a paranoid parront in general. I would definitely have your partner return the larger cage if possible and try 3/4" spacing. This is the cage I got for my sun conure, and I really liked it. The wheels are kind of low quality (aka plastic), but for the price it was great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SMC25E/

As for her behavior, it doesn't sound too terrible to me especially since she's only been doing it this morning--she may just be having an anxious day. Sometimes when they first come home they can be really mellow (aka freaked out) for awhile then, as they start adjusting, start freaking out in more active ways since they are more settled in and less terrified. The vet exam is a good idea, though (I was just at the AV this morning getting my new bird her checkup). If the behavior continues, though, then I might start to worry more.

Most Reactions

Latest posts