parrot died after eating flavored wood

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Calie - (M. Sun Conure, hatched 3/12)
I haven't wanted to talk about this before but I'm starting to come to grips with what happened. I bought a Timneh African Grey about 2 months ago and he was shipped to me. He had been weaned about 3 weeks. We loved him very much. The 6th day after he arrived he was in the bottom of his cage. I opened it and he tried to come to me but stumbled. I took him out and rushed him to the avian vet. He died a few minutes later. The necropsy showed that he had swallowed a splinter 1mm X 10mm in size. The only wood he had ever been exposed to was parrot toys. Some of them were colored and I guess flavored. My question is do you all use wood toys with your parrots and have you had any problems with it? I have a sun conure now and I want to provide many toys for him but I'm afraid of the wood ones. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
OMG... How awful. I'm so sorry that happened.
Mine chews on wood toys all the time and I have not noticed him actually eating it . it just falls all over the floor and stuff.

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
I'm so so sorry that happened! Poor baby :(
Sprite had a colored wood toy that he loved to tear apart. I never saw him actually eating it but the lady I got it from said specifically that the dye was safe for parrots.

OP
SunConureMom

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Thanks. I bought all of his toys at Petsmart and they were specifically for medium to large parrots so I thought they were safe.

Another thing is I still want a grey. I thought I would be happy with a sun conure and we do love him but I still want a grey. I had thought I would start over with a new breeder but the previous one has offered to ship another bird. He won't refund my money but will send me another grey. Its a hard decision.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So sorry for your loss, I would be devastated as well
Mishka chews wood, coloured blocks all day, never had a problem.
He chews little pieces off and spits them out.
My guess is after having been weaned only three weeks ago, he was biting the wood, then eat some food, digesting the small piece of wood, with the food.
Please do not blame yourself

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
It sounds like an accident, a horrible one. :( Animals are prone to those sometimes. Since the breeder is willing to ship you another bird (for free?) I would go that route. mysafebirdstore.com is a great place to purchase bird toys. I think in places like petsmart, where there are a lot of people and different animals, it's possible a chemical or something may have gotten on one of their toys while cleaning or hanging them on the rack.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I wouldn't think its the dye that's the problem... I think the splinter possibly punctured something internally.

Don't blame yourself, he was a baby and it was an accident. I think maybe to be on the safe side with a young bird stick to acrilycs? Something they can't break and potentially swollow during those clumsy uncertain few months...

So sorry for your loss.

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
Sorry for your loss :( Please do not blame yourself though! It was a very unfortunate accident!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I am so sorry for your loss and I agree with the others. You can't blame yourself, you did everything right. Alison and sweetie pie:D

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I'm so sorry :(. What a horrible experience !
You went through a very dramatic time , no fault of your own.
I would encourage you to get another Grey if this is what you want. It's apparent your heart is set on another.
Again , I am so sorry for your loss :(

OP
SunConureMom

SunConureMom

Jun 23, 2012
USA
Parrots
Thank you all so much. The breeder just called and said he could send me a baby Timneh in about 2 weeks! I only have to pay shipping. He has been wonderful. He feels bad for what happened even though it wasn't his fault. I'm excited and nervous. Thank you Safira for the website to purchase bird toys. I'll definitely stock up before he/she comes!

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I am so sorry for your loss. It was not your fault. I think it was just because he was a baby and was still exploring his environment so he decided to swallow some wood, just like human babies swallow random things. It was a freak accident so I wouldn't just never get wooden toys again, maybe just not for babies so young.
In glad you got another baby since that is what your heart desired, please post pics when you get him!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
I'm so sorry about your loss. Again, as others have said, it sounds just like an unfortunate accident. I think your breeder sounds amazing!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Good for you ! Please post pictures when you can :)
We can't wait to see him/her !

Didomum

Jul 9, 2012
Parrots
2 Quakers, 1 ring neck and 4 budgies. Baby Eclectus due sept 2012
Oh! Sorry so. Sometimes things happen and we have no control. Hope you get an other one. Sounds like you have a wonderful breeder, as don't sound like anyone is a fault. just one of them nightmare you hope never happen.

Most Reactions