Parrot Noise levels

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
This was a measure of intensity, not frequency. Frequency is the pitch, so cockatiels seem louder than they really are :)

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
If you read the full thread, it was a small study i did awhile back. Hence why I put "tell me if you think something is wrong inaccurate." :) It is quite accurate however ;)

JDlugosz

Jun 25, 2013
Parrots
Bronze Wing Pionus
I would like to measure the decible levels of my female Solomons' alert call. How do I do that, Wings?

You can buy a sound meter at Radio Shack, that is very common for setting up home theater speakers.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
You can get them that cheap?! I spent 130 on mine.... :/

Last edited:

Pugtato

Sep 16, 2012
Kentucky
Parrots
Marty-Jardine's Parrot
If you read the full thread, it was a small study i did awhile back. Hence why I put "tell me if you think something is wrong inaccurate." :) It is quite accurate however ;)

Please list your methods of this study, since as far as I know you do not own any of the parrots "documented." And for the record, true volume is nothing in regards to the pitch or frequency of said sound. The higher the pitch the more painful the sound is to the human ear, you are making this out to be a definite study when you list no technique, no data, and no proof. Measuring one Caique or one Cockatoo is not sufficient to make the claims you have made. To truly have a "study" as you are calling it you would need multiples of each species mentioned, the more measured, the more accurate the data. I am unconvinced. Please post your notes, if possible. Otherwise call this what it is, a trip to the bird store with an SPL meter.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
It was a little fun test I did, not a real "study" per say, and i just wanted to share my results. I visited friends with these birds, and recorded some calls. I didn't have friends with all of these birds so some came from a book. Book: "Good Parrot Keeping". I measured this in dB, not frequency, as i wasn't recording pain. :p But i was just curious as to how many decibels a parrot can scream. :) A little harsh wording though ;) Anyway thanks for your input.

I looked back in that book and found some more listings, so i fixed some :)

Last edited:

sodakat

Jul 15, 2009
I downloaded the android app just for fun. It is very interesting seeing what raises the meter and what doesn't.

I'm wondering what distance from the bird is commonly used when measuring the decible level of calls.

U2gal

May 20, 2013
I will have to get one and measure my cockatiels in dB. Because they're much higher than what you have noted down. Thats probably their quiet chirping. But they get loud. And can cause hearing lost at how loud they can get.

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Okay :D Go for it and tell me your results :)

OP
Wings

Wings

Jun 14, 2013
Ohio
Parrots
Budgie, "Julie"
Sodakat use different distances and find the average, would be most accurate in your case :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts