Parrot Playtime

Gryphinn

Oct 14, 2017
So my dad went to a pet store to get some freshwater fish and noticed a friendly bird who would sit on anyone who picked him up. He was almost a year old, and came home with my dad who didn't tell us he was bringing a parrot home. My dad had parrots his entire adult life, so he was excited when he found a very friendly parrot after our last one flew away. So from the beginning, it can easily be said that our parrot was pretty friendly.

My dad named our new parrot Little Buddy, since he was a buddy, and a small buddy. LB is a Canary Winged Bee Bee, also known as a Canary Winged Parakeet, also known as a White Winged Broto. He's a bit bigger than a parakeet.

Why is all this important? Since LB was super friendly from the beginning, he didn't need to warm up to us. He was begging to be sitting on someone's shoulder all the time. As of now, he's almost never in his cages. His daytime cage is pretty associated with food, since all he does in there is eat. He sometimes plays with his toys, but rarely. His nighttime cage is where he sleeps every night (in my room).

LB wants to be sitting on someone or near someone on a perch all times of the day. Which I'm aware is an unhealthy habit. We've tried to get him to be more independent before because he annoyed my mom and me all the time. But after we started doing that, he behaved a lot more. That gave us no reason to keep him in his cage.

So all day he sits on someone's shoulder unless no one is home. He never plays with the toys in his cage because he's barely in his cage. We never have playtime because he only wants to sit on us. Is this okay? Many websites say that parrots need time to play with their owners, but LB never wants to play. He simply wants to sit on us. I'm fine with him sitting on me all the time. He doesn't bother me. Is this healthy?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm not very concerned, why can't your flock mate hang with his flock? My conure sits on me most the day when I'm home. I have parrot toys on my desk along with food and water bowls so he can eat, drink or play with whatever he wants while he's still with me.

I'd set up a play area on the coffee table or end table, someplace near you he can go to to take care of his desires. There are reasonable playstands at virtually any pet store that would work fine, or make your own. Put it wherever you hang out.

Most people fret about leaving their birds in their cages to long, I don't see the problem with letting him out and being your buddy. Just make sure he gets plenty of sleep. Fortunately my bird lets me know when it's bed time by being annoying.

I would also find out his favorite treat and start training. Your bird is prime to learn tricks.

Last edited:
OP
Gryphinn

Gryphinn

Oct 14, 2017
Thanks for the quick response! He goes to bed around 7 or 8, whenever he gets ants in his fluffy pants. He knows a few tricks. He can spin, do a flip around my finger, and give kisses (he gets more action than anyone else in the house). Thanks for the ideas though. I think I'll get some fidget type toys to play with. Currently his favorite 'toy' is a water bottle cap. He sees me take the cap off. He thinks I want the cap; so he wants the cap.

Much love, :yellow1:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Ahhh the ole plastic cap, yep it's popular, easy to grab, can be filled with water or juice to splash you with after a drink.

Another popular toy is the molted feather. "gimme the feather" where I try to take the feather, or his version "keepaway" is a time honored favorite.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
We had a broto for many years , they are incredible little parrots, who think they are the size of an eagle. The don't talk so well but can whistle any tune can throw at them. The like head scratches and will fall asleep in your hand. How about some pics? Good choice your dad made.

OP
Gryphinn

Gryphinn

Oct 14, 2017
My dad had never seen a Broto in his life, and he had known tons of birds. He was quick to get the bird because he seemed to like everyone. Birds that are so friendly to anyone who comes up to them are rare. After being with us for about two years, he'll still sit on anyone. He just gets a little jealous when anyone touches me.

Most Reactions

Latest posts