Parrot Progress

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Great work so far! Isnā€™t it amazing how quickly they catch on? And so cute that he clicks for himself!

Maybe start working on a trick or two with the target-might alleviate boredom if there was more to training than just following the stick around. The first trick I taught Bumble was to walk through a hoop (but I had one handy) and the second was to ā€œspinā€ in a circle. I used the target to guide her for both of those.

Iā€™ve been bad about training with Bumble recently, but she learns so quickly that at least at first, as soon as I was sure she had the idea, we added in something else to keep it stimulating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Thanks Inger. I intend to work on getting him to spin now. He is moving a distance for the stick now so we are ready to try. He is really thriving and intentive with more shorter session. I need to get him some hoops ect. It is impressive how quick he caught on once he wasnt afraid of the stick your right.

Do i just him to do a half turn at first then reward him? X

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Thanks Inger. I intend to work on getting him to spin now. He is moving a distance for the stick now so we are ready to try. He is really thriving and intentive with more shorter session. I need to get him some hoops ect. It is impressive how quick he caught on once he wasnt afraid of the stick your right.

Do i just him to do a half turn at first then reward him? X

Hmmmm I donā€™t remember how I did it. I think I just targeted her all the way around and gave her the treat at the end. I might have done it in segments, but it was sort of more of the same, since she would so reliably follow the stick. I always said ā€œspinā€ when I started, and then I moved from stick to finger and now I donā€™t have to be near her-I say spin and give the hand signal and thatā€™s that. Except sometimes she likes to pretend she doesnā€™t know what I want and makes me pull out the stick again!

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I taught both Ducky and Kermit to spin using Ingerā€™s method. Since they would reliably follow the stick, I made them turn in a full circle right away. If Xander isnā€™t there yet, maybe work on getting him to follow the stick more reliably first. You can also reward him for half turns and work up to getting him to turn in a full circle. Flock-Talk has a great video on teaching the trick:
[ame="https://youtu.be/FtX5OXO9X00"]https://youtu.be/FtX5OXO9X00[/ame]

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
HURRAH!!!!! I have a spinning Quaker Parrot. That wasnt too hard. He wouldnt go all the way around at first so we did it in 3 motions and he picked it up in 4 sessions. Just working on the word now so he spins when i say but knowing him like i do he is gonna be telling me to spin too lol. I think we will have it down perfectly tonight. On to the next one, any ideas?

He learned a new word too. Sit down. Its not something i ever say to him but he has obviously heard it on the TV. I tried teaching him achoo but he doesnt like it and squawks haha, also when i make a brrrrrrrrrr sound with my lips he comes for me lol. I love it when he acts tough x

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good sized hoops ,like 5: diameter, can be gotten at most baby stores or toy stores. Once you have them get him to go thru 1 and then 2 hoops, and request he return back thru them.

If you want to see what is possible withthese hoops, check out Saltys video working with his hoops. Link is below in my signature.

Good work so far Carl. Parrots love to learn new things, and come to look forward to traning sessions.
I suggest you pick a time of day or evning, do your sessions then. Parrots like regularity, amd Salty knows almost to the minute when its training tme. His is 8:45 to 9:15 PM or so. Some times longer somtimes shorter, but we srart at 8:45 like clock work. I insist the TV off, and if family willl watch, they must setttle in and not leave in the middle of the session - it distracts Salty.

More videos, please !!!

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Thanks Al. Ill be sure to check your videos out. Ive ordered some hoops for him and a big slinky lol. He hasnt shown any disinterest training now. I do train him at regular times, usually before his meals and he lets me know if i forget the odd time. We was doing 6 2min sessions but im stretching them to 5 mins for a week then next week 10 mins as he learns more to practise but maybe just 3 sessions or 4 a day. Its all good so far and the treats make him hungry so he 8s eating really well after sessions.

Theres a few things on my hand id like to teach him like opening his wings and laying on his back too. I also have some puzzles like you and trick meister Salty do but he is still scared of that and going on the table lol x

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Flight recall can be taught as a ā€œtrickā€ as well. Move a bit away, hold the target stick near your arm/hand, and then I say ā€œhere.ā€ Bumble isnā€™t the best at this-I mean she executes it perfectly when she wants to[/] but sheā€™s a bit unreliable. Itā€™s an important thing for birds to learn though! As you progress, move farther and farther away.

OP
Carl_Power

Carl_Power

Oct 3, 2017
England
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
:) Flight recall is the main thing i want him to learn so he can excercise more. We kinda forgot about it lol having fun with his first trick. Thanks for the tip, we will get back at it x

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations on all of your progress! Just seeing this thread for the first time, so it's like watching Xander's progression on a time lapse video! Lol!

Flight recall is HUGE! One of the most important things you can teach him. Excellent tip by Inger, above. At first it will be unreliable, but with time and repetition he will become a lot more consistent. At this point, I have both of my ekkies at pretty much 100% reliability. Well, call it 99% for their individual faults. If strangers are over, Jolly gets nervous and I may have to repeat myself a few times for him to finally fly to me. And Maya comes (although for her it's a walk, since she rarely flies) no matter who's around, but she tends to... saunter on over at her own pace. Not exactly moving with any immediacy. Lol!

Often, getting the bird to fly away from you can be the more challenging prospect. But at the rate your guy is learning, you'll have him doing it all soon enough.

Most Reactions