Parrot proofing shed?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey guys! Itā€™s me again with more home project questions :Do

Our new house has a 8x12 shed the previous owner used to store paint, car parts and construction equipment. Itā€™s got insulation but nothings been painted or finished and Iā€™m getting electrical added soon. Iā€™d like to use it as an office/studio but Iā€™d like for the parrots to be able to hang out with me in there when Iā€™m working, as they prefer me to my partner.

My question is this - is there any way (thereā€™s a window and a door) to air out, or use paint like KILZ etc, to eliminate any trace odors from what it was used for before? Thereā€™s some wood shelving that the owner put in but never painted, and it still has a faint odor (which might be because I still have a few leftover paint cans in there until I relocate them).

My dad is in construction and told me to scrub everything down with Simple Green and then sand the shelves and paint them, and that I shouldnā€™t have to replace the insulation (which is currently exposed), just need to cover it with something like wood panels or drywall.

Is that sufficient? Or would it still be too dangerous to bring the boys in? This is my current project until it stops raining (Seattle) and I can start on the backyard.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Your dadā€™s recommendations sound correct! You may want to add a screen door to lessen a nightmare situation! Shed, yes, the door opens outward! Put the screen door inside! A simple wooden door is amazingly inexpensive!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Totally. One of my neighbors have a cool screen thing on their door for their cat that opens in the middle that I was looking into as well.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd also get a serious air purifier and run it, bc even Kilz etc will produce VOCs..

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Great points above!

It will be important to create a sealing surface between the 'old' construction and what you plan to add. This could be as simply as using a spray-on sealer all the way to sealing plastic barrier sheeting using sealing tap to cover all openings /edges, cuts!

This tends not to be as simple as sticking up plastic sheeting, as getting it wrong, turns either one side of the plastic bathed in moister collection. This commonly causes more damage than sealing. Consult an expert in installation to assure that you do it correctly for your application.

The 'general concern' is that as the shed experiences the vast changes from Winter to Summer, all kinds of chemicals caught in the structure flows out. At some point, it would be better to strip the structure back to its bones and place all new exterior coverings, sealing surface, installation, and interior wall coverings. This allows you to be comfortable in the safety of the building and its new use.

It will also, greatly reduce your cost of installing an electrical system.

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Right now itā€™s just exposed studs and insulation, only one or two walls have a little finishing- the shelving in place is attached directly to the studs.

I wasnā€™t sure if the insulation needed replacing or if I could use what is already there. This is definitely my first DIY home building project and unfortunately my dad lives on the near-opposite coast so I canā€™t sweet talk him into doing any of the labor, haha.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Heat and cold fluctuations make things "breathe" (if they didn't, they would burst)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Pull everything with the exception of the exterior covering and the studs.

Visit the near by lumberyard or Big Box Store. Go to the building supplies section and ask for help from an older employee, look for gray hair. Tell that person what you have Outer covering and studs and that you want to place installation and a durable interior cover. FYI: Tell them this is your first DYI and you want to keep is simple.

Put together a list of what tools you have. If none, okay, say that. Understand that if you use batten insulation you will need a carpenter's stapler and correct staples for it. Depending on what you choose to install as the interior cover, assure that it is something that can be washed down. You will commonly need a drill/driver (battery style) with a small to mid size set of drills and drivers. They will show you what they are and how to use them. Take Notes!!!

Personally, I would not get everything that day, as that could overwhelm you, better to do this one step at a time.

Assure that your roof will keep everything dry on the inside! If rain is not in the forecast, spray the roof top with a hose and look for leaks.

Have Fun With This! You can do it, just keep your steps small and doable...

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I cheated a tiny bit (ok, a lot). I found a local contractor who is stuck with the rest of us in West Seattle due to the bridge closure and is happy to do small projects. Heā€™s going to take care of the insulation and put up drywall and a new floor panel, and I will sand/finish the shelving, paint, and apply flooring. :) Heā€™s also going to put in outlets and refer me to an electrician to get the shed connected to our panel.

I was following your advice though, but at some point a friend gently suggested I consider hiring help as on top of the fids we have two young kids (8 and 3) and my child-free time is basically zero due to pandemic related school closures.

Looking forward to having my own work space and a new free fly zone for the fids. (With safety precautions).

Thank you for the help, I am certain once the kids are older Iā€™ll get myself into more DIY debacles, haha. My dad is one of the ā€œgrey hairedā€ fellows one might seek advice from after all.

Most Reactions