Parrot won't eat?

CharlieTheAnon

Jul 30, 2014
So I recently started school, and my mum, who takes care of her while I'm gone, noticed this: My Cockatiel won't eat unless I'm in the room.
Thankfully, her cage is in my room, where I spend most of my time not in school.
Should I be worried? What should I do?
(Also, her cage is covered)

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
When/why is her cage covered? And no, it's not normal for a bird only to eat when you are looking, but how do you know she's not eating when you aren't looking?

OP
CharlieTheAnon

CharlieTheAnon

Jul 30, 2014
Her cage is only covered at night, because I often study late at night with the light on. She doesn't only eat when I'm looking, but only when I'm in the room-- You can tell because her food is left untouched. No seed hulls, nothing.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Just some rambling thoughts free flowing ----- Is there something else going on when you are in the room and she eats..... Do you talk to her, play music, talk on phone or to someone else in the room? Maybe she needs company or the stiumlation of human activity. Also, what is she doing when you are not home? Can your mom check for you? Is she playing, sleeping, or ??? Get your mom to try and give her a treat with you there. Also, how many hours a day are you away that she doesn't eat?

OP
CharlieTheAnon

CharlieTheAnon

Jul 30, 2014
I play music, but when I'm not there it's also on. I believe that the company is what's important-- We got her during the summer, and I had her on me most of the day then. I'm gone 24/7, from a little before she wakes up to 3:15.

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
By giving her that much attention you could have caused her to develop seperation anxiety among other things. Ask your mom how loud she is during the day. Does she play with toys? Does she know how to entertain herself? These are things that need to be considered. Giving a bird constant attention then taking it away is what causes screamer and pluckers. Play with her toys in front of her so she understands what they're for and how to play with them. Take away her food at night so she will be hungry enough to eat during the day. Since you can't spend all your time with her, on weekends limit how much time she gets with you so its the same during the week. I know it sounds harsh but it will create stability so she knows what to expect and can become used to it. Otherwise your going to continue to have this problem.

babybirdie

Jun 14, 2014
Media
Parrots
Alexandrian Parrot
cockatiels
love birds
budgies
Indian ring neck
OMG! I have the exact problem with my Alex. He eats only when i am in the room and pretty much stays hungry the rest of the time and because this i try to stay up late so he can eat at lest a little. I am so frustrated with this because this causes me to be sleepy at school. I'm pretty sure that he does have separation anxiety but i dont know how to get him to eat when i'm not there :(

Colorguarder08

Banned
Banned
Mar 8, 2010
Washington State
Parrots
Riley-white faced grey cockatiel (hatch date 6-28-2014) RIP Halloween-pied cockatiel
OMG! I have the exact problem with my Alex. He eats only when i am in the room and pretty much stays hungry the rest of the time and because this i try to stay up late so he can eat at lest a little. I am so frustrated with this because this causes me to be sleepy at school. I'm pretty sure that he does have separation anxiety but i dont know how to get him to eat when i'm not there :(

As I said in my last post take the food away at night yes he will be hungry but when you give him his food in the morning he should be more than happy to eat. With dogs the easiest way to tell if they have seperation anxiety is weather or not they eat in the absence of their owner. If they do then they don't have seperation anxiety they're just bored. However if they don't eat then they definitely have seperation anxiety. I know this because Rocky has it and it was the test the vet gave to see if he did or not. Idk if its the same in birds but its possible.

Most Reactions

Latest posts